Star Wars Bits: Force Awakens Opening Crawl? BB-8 Plane, Disneyland Casting Call, JJ Abrams and More
Posted on Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits we will take a look at:
- A sneak preview of the possible opening crawl for Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- JJ Abrams remembers the first time he saw Star Wars.
- Disneyland is casting for performers for Star Wars Launch Bay opening in October or November 2015
- New Star Wars credit cards that will give cardholders exclusive access to Star Wars meet-and-greets in Disney theme parks.
- See two new Star Wars comic book variant covers.
- Japan All Nippon Airways reveals a new plane which will be themed like BB-8 from The Force Awakens.
- The Star Wars: Uprising mobile game will have promotions at PAX Prime.
- Set photos from Star Wars: Rogue One at Cardington, which could be another recreation of an Original Trilogy location.
- Disney Interactive’s announcements from D23 Expo, including Force Awakens Disney Infinity figures and a look at the Battle of Jakku DLC level in Star Wars Battlefront which serves as a Force Awakens prequel.
- Another possible Star Wars Land location for the Disneyland version.
- And the header image is one of the illustrations created by Isaiah Stephens for Zimbio featuring Disney princesses and Star Wars mixed together
All that and more in today’s Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump to get to it.
Japan All Nippon Airways announced at Star Wars Celebration that they would be putting R2-D2 on the side of an airliner, and it now looks like his Star Wars: The Force Awakens astromech brother is getting the same honor. Some new images and video which have appeared on the ANA website showing a BB-8 themed plane. The planes will also serve drinks and food with Star Wars-themed napkins and cups, and the airline’s in-flight entertainment options will include all six Star Wars movies this November.
Entertainment Weekly have posted a video with Star Wars: The Force Awakens director JJ Abrams sharing his memory of the first time he watched Star Wars.
“It didn’t look like anything I had ever seen. It looked real, and it was a combination of everything great: It was really funny; it was romantic; it was sweeping and epic; it was incredibly intimate; it had an amazing message and impact. So it was an incredibly powerful experience.”
Watch the brief interview clip above.
Chase Card Services and Disney have announced they are teaming up to offer new credit cards with Star Wars images and with some interesting exclusive Star Wars bonuses. Three new Star Wars card designs have been revealed featuring Darth Vader, Yoda or R2-D2 with C-3PO. Members with these special Star Wars cards will “enjoy savings on select Star Wars merchandise purchases at Disney Store and select locations at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resorts and can have the opportunity to take advantage of upcoming Star Wars-related limited-time offers.” According to InsideTheMagic:
A new exclusive Star Wars Imperial Meet ‘N’ Greet, featuring the Supreme Commander of Imperial Forces, Darth Vader will also be available for Chase Disney Visa card members at Disneyland Park at the Disneyland Resort and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort. The new meet and greet experience is set to open in fall 2015 for Disneyland and early 2016 for Disney World.
At D23 Epo 2015, Disney Parks and Resorts announced that they would be bringing Star Wars Launch Bay to Disneyland. We’ve previously seen rumors that the exhibit and meet-and-greet would be located inside the newly redesigned Innoventions building in Tomorrowland. Now Disneyland has posted a casting call for “Cast Members” to populate the new Star Wars Launch Bay location.
The casting call, which you can see screen captured above, is looking for “performers to portray characters from the STAR WARS Universe for the new STAR WARS LAUNCH BAY in Disneyland Park.” They are particularly looking for “individuals with heights 6’1″ and above” who will be “available to work starting October 11, 2015” which gives us some idea of when to expect Star Wars Launch Bay to open.
— ocdisney (@ocdisney) August 18, 2015
And speaking of Disneyland, we’ve been theorizing where Star Wars Land will fit into Disneyland. Someone has another theory of which 14 acres will be reserved for Star Wars Land. While this is a little bit odd in shape, it might make sense because it would connect Critter Country to Fantasyland, which has always been kind of a a problem.
I don’t know enough about the Disneyland backstage areas to have any assessment of if this would be possible or not. The area highlighted on the map right to left: stables, Circle D Ranch, Enviromental Center, Horticulture, Transportation Facility, Uniform Issue, Cycle Shop, Paint Shop, Sign Shop, Staff Annex and Staff Shop. What might pose a problem in this design is that behind Critter Country is apparently the shipping and receiving entrance.