Star Wars Bits: Josh Trank, Rogue One Set Photos, D23 Expo Force Awakens Merch, Star Wars Emojis, Battlefront and More
Posted on Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- The real reason director Josh Trank is no longer directing the Boba Fett Star Wars Anthology movie?
- See the first photos from the set of Star Wars: Rogue One.
- See the exclusive Star Wars merchandise that will be available at D23 Expo 2015 this week. It includes some new Star Wars: The Force Awakens pins, shirts and sweatshirts.
- Find out where you can get the awesome Star Wars emojis on your phone.
- Star Wars Steelbooks are now available for pre-order.
- A Star Wars Battlefront Developer Diary video gives us a better look at Fighter Squadron Mode and a new planet that was brought to life in the game.
- EA answers Battlefront questions on Twitter
- The first Star Wars: The Force Awakens toy has been sold prematurely.
- Learn more about what to expect on Force Friday: see the covers for the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Monopoly and Battleship board games and get a first look at BB-8 and Kylo Ren watches.
All this and more, in today’s Star Wars Bits.
Entertainment Weekly has a fantastic breakdown of what went wrong between director Josh Trank and 20th Century Fox in the making of Fantastic Four. In the breakdown, they mention the real reason behind Trank’s exit from Lucasfilm’s untitled Star Wars Anthology film which was to focus on bounty hunter Boba Fett:
…Sources close to those films say, without question, Trank was fired from the movie after Lucasfilm executives investigated rumors of the Fantastic Four conflict, talking to numerous figures involved in the movie, and determined he would be too big a risk for a Star Wars film.
This is nothing new or nothing we haven’t heard in the rumor mill, but its interesting to see a magazine like EW putting it in print.
— Mirror TV (@MirrorTV) August 8, 2015
Mirror Online has the first photos from the set of Star Wars: Rogue One. The newspaper reports that the images are from Star Wars: The Force Awakens reshoots (which are happening, but not in the UK), but they appear to us or anyone with any sense as being from Gareth Edwards Star Wars anthology film currently shooting in London. The images show Galactic Empire Stormtroopers (from the New Hope era) and not the First Order Stormtroopers and landers as seen in the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens. There are no spoilers to be had here, so feel free to head over to the Mirror’s website to see more images from the Rogue One set.
The official Star Wars app which launched last month with games, official videos, a Star Wars news feed, Star Wars animated gifs, soundboards, countdown clocks and more. This week Lucasfilm and Disney updated the app with new quizies, polls, soundboard additions, but the biggest addition is probably the Star Wars emojis, which includes images from all the films, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Clone Wars and and even Star Wars Rebels. The update is only available for IOS devices at the moment, but Android will eventually get the leftovers.
The DisneyBlog has an interview with artist 100% Soft, who we’ve featured many times before on the site, talking about how he designed the Star Wars emojis. IO9 also has a feature on how 100% Soft created the Emojis.