Posted on Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
JJ Abrams teamed with Omaze for Force For a Change, a charity fundraiser which gave one lucky Star Wars fan a trip to the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And now Abrams’ production company Bad Robot is again teaming with Omaze to give one lucky Star Trek fan a walk-on role in Star Trek Beyond, as well as a trip to the set for a number of other winners. To promote the charity fundraiser, the cast of Star Trek Beyond recorded a video on the Enterprise set of the new film. Watch the video embedded after the jump.
The video isn’t too revealing, as we’ve seen many of these sets in the previous two installments, Star Trek and Star Trek Into The Darkness.
Very few details have been revealed about Star Trek Beyond, other than that it’ll follow the Enterprise crew on their five-year mission. We’ve heard it could be “less Star Trek-y” — but what exactly that means, and whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, is still open for debate.
Simon Pegg and Doug Jung scripted Star Trek Beyond, which brings back the entire core cast: Quinto, Saldana, Chris Pine (Kirk), Karl Urban (Bones), Anton Yelchin (Chekov), John Cho (Sulu), and of course Pegg himself (Scotty). In addition, Idris Elba joins the cast as the villain (he also appears in this new video), and Sofia Boutella will appear in a mystery role.
Star Trek Beyond opens July 8, 2016. Next year also marks the 50th anniversary of the franchise, which began in 1966 with the original TV show.
The press release follows:
STAR TREK BEYOND CAST UNITES TO BRING AUDIENCES THE ULTIMATE FAN EXPERIENCE: A CHANCE TO APPEAR IN THE UPCOMING FILM
Cast Members Announce “STAR TREK: TO BOLDLY GO” Campaign Benefitting the Cast’s Choice of Nine Global Causes
Beginning Today, Fans Can Visit Omaze.com/StarTrek to Enter for a Chance to Win!
HOLLYWOOD, CA, JULY 14, 2015 – In an unprecedented event, the cast of the Star Trek film franchise has created a unique philanthropic initiative in partnership with Omaze. The Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign will support the cast’s personal selection of nine global causes, which will each receive equal portions of the funds raised when fans enter for a chance to win a walk-on role in director Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond, the third film in the blockbuster franchise, released on July 8, 2016. The campaign runs from 12:01 a.m. PST on July 14th until 11:59 p.m. PST September 1st.
To coincide with the campaign’s launch, cast members John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoë Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin and Idris Elba recorded a special video message on the iconic Starship Enterprise bridge set. The video, released today, kicked off production and features the cast inviting fans to make franchise history as the first fans to ever win a walk-on role in a Star Trek movie. For each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform, eligible participants will be automatically entered for a chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Grand Prize winner and a guest will:
- Fly to Vancouver and stay in a 4-star hotel
- Go behind the scenes of Star Trek Beyond, hang with the cast, and experience the filming of the movie
- Be transformed by hair, makeup and costume teams into a Star Trek character and filmed for a scene in Star Trek Beyond
In addition to the Grand Prize Winner, six additional winners will be randomly selected throughout the campaign to form the honorary “Star Trek: To Boldly Go” crew. Star Trek: To Boldly Go is the first Omaze campaign to have winners every
The Star Trek: To Boldly Go Crew will:
- Visit the closed set and meet the cast of Star Trek Beyond
- Be among the first to see scenes from the latest film
- Travel to Vancouver
“Omaze is excited to bring this truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to Star Trek fans around the world,” said Ryan Cummins, Co-Founder and Co-CEO. “We are proud to give fans the chance to live out their dream experience while simultaneously helping nine great causes. By allowing anyone to enter for just $10, we are seeing the power our community has in making an impact around the world.”
By donating directly to Omaze.com/StarTrek, fans will be supporting these nine global causes:
- Brave Beginnings, an organization dedicated to ensuring that ventilators and life-saving neonatal equipment are always available to newborns in critical need. Nominated by Zoë Saldana.
- Camp Sunshine, a place where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families can regroup, reenergize, and restore hope for the future. Nominated by Anton Yelchin.
- Direct Relief International, one of the premiere disaster relief organizations that operates worldwide. Nominated by Zachary Quinto.
- Heaven Homes, an organization helping establish children’s homes and centers, while providing secure, safe and loving environments where children can be nurtured to realize their full potential. Nominated by Idris Elba.
- KidsCan, an organization that provides food, clothing and healthcare to disadvantaged youth in New Zealand. Nominated by Karl Urban.
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center, an organization serving the evolving needs of the Korean American population in the greater Los Angeles area as well as the multiethnic Koreatown community. Nominated by John Cho.
- Make-A-Wish, whose remarkable work is making wishes come true every day for children suffering from lifethreatening illnesses. Nominated by Chris Pine.
- Time is Precious, an organization helping to create a more comfortable and relaxed atmosphere for children, which in return helps assist with their treatment and recovery. Nominated by Simon Pegg.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization that is leading the way in advancing cures for childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Nominated by Susan Nimoy in honor of Leonard Nimoy.
In addition, fans who donate set amounts larger than $10 can receive special limited edition Star Trek rewards including t-shirts, posters, a cast-autographed red shirt, an advanced private screening of Star Trek Beyond, and a replica Captain’s chair.
Visit Omaze.com/StarTrek to learn more about this new initiative. “Live long and prosper.”
Founded by writer/filmmakers and friends from college, Matt Pohlson and Ryan Cummins, Omaze is an online social good platform that gives anyone the chance to win once-in-a-lifetime experiences that also support social missions. Omaze offers its community of donors transformative experiences, remarkable causes and compelling content. For more information, please visit www.omaze.com.
ABOUT PARAMOUNT PICTURES CORPORATION
Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment, is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. Paramount controls a collection of some of the most powerful brands in filmed entertainment, including Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV Films, and Nickelodeon Movies. PPC operations also include Paramount Home Media Distribution, Paramount Pictures International, Paramount Licensing Inc., and Paramount Studio Group.
Star Trek: To Boldly Go Restrictions and Limitations
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or the age of majority in your domicile, to enter and a resident of Argentina, Austria, Canada, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, USA, or the UK, and not a resident of Belgium, Italy, Malta, Singapore, or Thailand. Residents of Australia, Brazil, China and the Republic of Korea are not prohibited from participating, but local rules and laws may restrict or prohibit the award of certain prizes or impose additional restrictions on participation.
Rewards are separate from sweepstakes prizes. Rewards are limited in quantity. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. For free entry: (i) send post card to Sponsor at P.O. Box 866, 9942 Culver Blvd, Culver City, CA, USA 90232 by applicable mail date; or (ii) visitwww.Omaze.com/StarTrek. Entrants may receive additional entries via Facebook. Maximum number of entries: 1,000,000 per Entrant. Travel and accommodations are at Sponsor’s discretion and subject to availability and change. Winner and Guest may be required to pass a background screening or security check, to receive the prize and/or reward. Visa conditions may apply. All taxes are Winner’s responsibility. Not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook®. Residents of certain territories may be required to successfully complete a trivia question to qualify. For full entry requirements, details, limitations and restrictions see Official rules at www.Omaze.com/StarTrek. Sole Sponsor: Omaze, Inc., P.O. Box 866, 9942 Culver Blvd, Culver City, CA, USA 90232.Cool Posts From Around the Web: