Posted on Monday, March 30th, 2015 by Angie Han
Last week brought a major rumor that Idris Elba would be playing a Klingon villain in Star Trek 3. So inevitably, this week brings a stringent denial of said rumor. Star Trek 3 star and writer Simon Pegg says in no uncertain terms that the talk isn’t true — the Klingon part of it, anyway. The Idris Elba part might still be.
Read Pegg’s response to the Idris Elba Klingon talk after the jump.
Pegg shot down the Idris Elba Klingon rumors in a chat with Absolute Radio:
That’s not true. No, no, no. I heard there’s a rumor he’s been spoken to about stuff, so he may be in the film but he won’t be a Klingon. [Laughs.] Or maybe he will!
If anyone should know whether Elba will be playing a Klingon in the next film, it’s Pegg. Not only is he a star and a fan, he’s writing the damn thing. But just because he knows doesn’t mean he’s willing to say. Remember, this is the same guy who insisted that those Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-Khan rumors were just “a myth.”
At least we can trust Pegg when he says he’s working hard to deliver a satisfying movie. “It’s enormous pressure. I’m barely able to speak right now I’m so terrified,” he said. “We’ll just keep plugging away at it, and hopefully come up with something that the fans like — everybody likes, not just the fans.”
To that end, Pegg wants to pin down what makes Star Trek special. He said in a previous interview:
I have to try to take on the spirit of the show, rather than fill it with stuff that people will just go, “Oh, yeah, that’s from episode something or other.” It’s more than that.
That’s surely music to the ears of many longtime fans, who’ve complained that the 2009 movie and its sequel didn’t feel Star Trek-y enough. In any case, the Star Trek 3 script will be done by June “come hell or high water,” and shooting will get underway this year for release on July 8, 2016.Cool Posts From Around the Web: