Sequel Bits: Writers Want Michael Keaton for ‘Beetlejuice 2’, Zach Galifianakis Talks ‘Hangover 3’, Stuntman Dies on ‘Expendables 2’
Posted on Friday, October 28th, 2011 by Angie Han
When we reported on the impending Beetlejuice reboot last month, the very first comment on our post was “No Keaton=no movie.” Apparently, writers Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are of the same mind as our dear readers. In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, the two revealed some of the conditions of their making the film. Here’s the relevant quote:
When Warner Bros. came to us about it, we said the only way we’d do it if we got Tim [Burton’s] blessing and involvement, and we got that, and the star of the movie has to be Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and it’s a true continuation 26 years later. Not just throwing him in as a cameo going, “Hey, it’s me. I endorse this movie.” We’re not there yet [with Keaton] because we don’t have a film to present to him.
I’m still not really sold on the idea of this reboot, but if it has to happen I’d rather it happen with Keaton on board — I can’t imagine anyone else stepping into those shoes. It’s worth noting here that during last year’s press junket for Toy Story 3, Keaton told reporters he’d return “in a heartbeat” if a sequel happens.
The writers also emphasized that the new film will not be a remake, but a reboot, as previously reported. “People have been very angry about [the idea of a remake],” noted Katzenberg.
After the jump, Zach Galifianakis offers a tiny update on The Hangover Part III and tragedy hits the set of The Expendables 2.
It’s been a few months since we’ve heard any real development on The Hangover Part III, but with star Zach Galifianakis out doing press for Puss in Boots, we now have a minor update on the project. “I have heard that they are writing it. That’s all I know. I know that they’re writing it, and I know that we are all wanting to read the third one,” Galifianakis told Collider earlier this week. “Whether we do the third one or not is still up in the air. That’s all I’ve got on that one. It really is.”
The actor reiterated his position in another interview, with Coming Soon. When asked whether he’d be interested in doing another Hangover film, Galifianakis responded, “If we can get the script where we feel that it’s really fantastic, I think it’s something to consider. It’s all about the script. And if Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms are not in it, yeah, I’m into it.”
Frankly, it’s difficult to imagine Galifianakis actually turning down The Hangover Part III. The last two movies were huge box office hits; I’m guessing the studio is willing to do whatever it takes to release another.
Finally: Apologies in advance for ending on a down note, but the last bit of sequel news we have today is quite a sad one. A tragic accident has killed one stuntman and left another critically injured on the set of The Expendables 2, which is currently filming in Bulgaria. The incident occurred at the Ognyanovo reservoir 15 miles outside the capital city of Sofia, while the two were shooting a stunt involving a rubber boat and an explosion under the supervision of the film’s second unit team. Director Simon West and much of the cast, including producer/star Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, were working on another scene several hours away at the time.
“Our hearts go out to the families and those on the production affected by this tragedy,” production company Nu Image/Millennium Films said in a statement. “The filmmakers are working closely with the authorities in responding to and investigating this accident.”
The Expendables 2, the follow-up to this summer’s $274 million hit, is scheduled to hit theaters Aug. 17, 2012. It is unclear at this time what effect the tragedy will have on the project. [The Hollywood Reporter]Cool Posts From Around the Web: