Point Break was released in theaters on July 12th 1991, twenty years ago today. The action film was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, the future Academy Award winning director of The Hurt Locker who was at the time married to James Cameron. Keanu Reeves starred as Johnny Utah, an FBI agent who goes undercover to catch a gang of bank robbing surfers (led by Patrick Swayze). Here are five quick facts that you probably didn’t know about the movie:
- The word “fuck” is spoken 105 times.
- The movie was almost titled “Johnny Utah” after Keanu’s character name.
- Elizabeth Berkley (Saved By The Bell, Showgirls) had a small role in the movie as “Macrame Girl”, but her scene was cut out.
- Johnny Depp, Matthew Broderick and Charlie Sheen were among the other actors who supposedly auditioned for the role of Johnny Utah.
- Johnny tells Bodhi to meet him at “Patrick’s Roadhouse”, an inside joke to the movie Swayze made a couple years prior – Road House.
Leave your memories of the film after the jump. We’ve also embedded a making of documentary.