Posted on Thursday, May 5th, 2016 by Angie Han
Superhero teams are all the rage these days, from the Justice League to the Avengers to the X-Men. And soon, we’ll be able to add the powerful teens of New Mutants to that list. Director Josh Boone teased the team lineup for his X-Men spinoff, which seems to stick pretty closely to the original New Mutants team lineup from the 1980s comics.
For the past few days, Boone has been dropping hints left and right about the New Mutants team lineup. At least, we think they’re hints. Until we hear official confirmation about which characters will be in this movie, it’s always possible this is just Boone toying with fans. Anyway, he got warmed up with a few snapshots of individual team members, and then he shared this lovely piece of art by Phil Noto.
Here’s a rundown of who’s who.
- Left: Mirage, a.k.a. Dani Moonstar, a Cheyenne girl who can cast illusions
- Center: Magik, a.k.a. Illyana Rasputin, a Russian sorceress who can teleport through time and space
- Top right: Cannonball, a.k.a. Samuel Guthrie, a Kentucky guy who can propel himself like a rocket
- Middle right: Sunspot, a.k.a. Roberto da Costa, a Brazilian mutant who can absorb and channel solar power
- Bottom right: Wolfsbane, a.k.a. Rahne Sinclair, a Scottish girl who can transform into a wolf
That’s more or less the same roster we heard rumored a few weeks ago… with one notable difference. Boone followed up that team photo above with another Instagram pic, this time of the mutant Warlock. He’s a cybernetic alien shapeshifter who often serves as the comic relief.
#newmutants #warlock A photo posted by Josh Boone (@joshboonemovies) on
There’s no word yet on when New Mutants will hit theaters, but Boone’s currently hard at work with co-writer Knate Gwaltney. Producer Simon Kinberg has suggested that the film will have “more of a YA vibe,” which should be right up Boone’s alley. While New Mutants is intended to stand apart from the core X-Men films to some degree, rumor is it will include some characters from the existing X-Men films including Storm (Alexandra Shipp) and Professor X (James McAvoy).Cool Posts From Around the Web: