Posted on Friday, June 13th, 2014 by Germain Lussier
Not only will Michael Bay‘s Transformers: Age of Extinction reintroduce the world to Optimus Prime and his pals, it’s the first film ever shot with a brand new camera. Bay used the IMAX 3D Digital Camera, a compact, fully-integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D tool that allowed the director to capture massive IMAX images in native 3D.
Below, watch a featurette on the camera and read some more facts about this revolutionary piece of technology.
Thanks to IMAX for the video and information.
IMAX 3D Digital Camera
And here are some facts about the camera thanks to IMAX.
- IMAX has developed the first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.
- The IMAX 3D Digital Camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.
- The IMAX 3D Digital Camera is a true 4K stereo camera. This means that both the left eye and right eye images are captured at full 4K resolution.
- Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first feature film to ever use the new IMAX 3D Digital Camera.
- Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX 3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio – offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX 3D experience.
- The production team on Transformers: Age of Extinction was able to capture major action sequences of the film – including chase scenes and helicopter shots – in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.
In Transformers 4, Bay used the camera only for key action scenes – much like Christopher Nolan did on his last two Dark Knight movies, and Bay himself did on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. It’s less than half the size of all other digital 3D cameras currently available to filmmakers, yet still captures images at a resolution and scope IMAX is known for. It sounds pretty impressive.
Last year, J.J Abrams shot some of Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX and then converted it to 3D. At the time, that made it the first Hollywood feature shot in IMAX and presented in 3D. This film, however, takes it to another level.
Here are a few additional images of the rig.
Transformers: Age of Extinction hits theaters, both regular and IMAX 3D, on June 27.