While everyone on Twitter was bitching and complaining about the Fox/Warner Bros Watchmen legal mess, someone asked out loud if Fox was ever going to create a twitter account.
Quick Rant: I never really understood the concept of movie studios with twitter accounts. I mean, I understand its another way for them to pimp their wares in another social medium, but why would anyone who doesn’t write movie news for a living follow a movie studio on twitter? It’s basically like opting in to daily spam alerts (and I guess you could argue that since you are opting in, it’s technically not spam, but whatever).
Anyways, sorry about that rant, but it had to be said. So someone out in cyberspace grabbed a hold of the idea and decided to create a fake twitter account for 20th Century Fox. What kind of tweets can you find on said Twitter page? Here is a look at some of the funnier entries:
- Why have we kept “20th Century” in our name? Because that’s when we last made consistently great films. Call it nostalgia.
- Oh, and if you’re wondering, we’ll be sitting on the rights to the Halo movie for 20 years too.
- Don’t worry about that whole Watchmen thing, we’re pretty sure you would’ve hated it – we’re just trying to protect you! :-)
- We’re not sure how Slumdog Millionare and The Wrestler slipped through, but don’t worry we’ll see that sort of thing won’t happen again.
- In ’09 look for more great movies like Street Fighter, Dragonball, Night at the Museum 2 and Tooth Fairy!
I’m sure that Fox’s lawyers aren’t busy enough with the Watchmen lawsuit to send a Cease and Desist letter to Twitter in the coming days. So check out the Twitter Account while it still exists. And remember, you can subscribe to my tweets at Twitter.com/SlashFilm.