Posted on Friday, January 9th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn is one of those filmmakers who puts himself out there and connects with the fans (or just fellow movie geeks). Be it on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, Gunn has always been very open about answering questions, sharing behind the scenes photos and even talking about the state of movies in general. Yesterday Gunn took to Facebook to share his favorite movies of 2014. His list, which he clearly states are a list of his personal favorites and not necessarily the best films, contains a span of Hollywood films to low budget independent movies. See the list of James Gunn’s favorite movies of 2014 after the jump.
James Gunn’s Favorite Movies of 2014
The director posted the following on Facebook on January 8th 2015:
Admittedly, due to my schedule, I’ve probably seen less films this year than any other year, outside of the one before it when I was actually shooting. And I, of course, am not including Guardians of the Galaxy on this list, as that probably wouldn’t be fair. But here are my favorites of the ones I’ve seen. And, although this list isn’t really in order, Whiplash is my very favorite of all of them; I strongly suggest you see it immediately.
- Whiplash, dir. Damien Chazelle
- The LEGO Movie, dir. Phil Lord & Christopher Miller
- Edge of Tomorrow, dir. Doug Liman
- The Drop, dir. Michaël R. Roskam
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, dir. Matt Reeves
- Boyhood, dir. Richard Linklater
- The Raid 2, dir. Gareth Evans
- Heaven Knows What, dir. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier, dir. Anthony Russo & Joe Russo
- Begin Again, dir. John Carney
- The Hive, dir. David Yarovesky
- John Wick, dir. David Leitch & Chad Stahelski
- These are my favorites, not necessarily the best. They don’t have to be yours.
- It must be the year of the director team (???) as there are four pairs.
- Yes, you’re right, I DO like action movies.
- I’ll post my favorite songs and my favorite TV shows of the year soon.
- Comment below. Kindness to one another is imperative.
Peter Sciretta’s comments: There are a few films on James list that I have yet to see, most notably John Wick because everyone has told me I need to. But his list is solid, a lot of the same picks I would have had. Boyhood is definitely my favorite of the year at this point.Cool Posts From Around the Web: