Posted on Thursday, September 4th, 2014 by Peter Sciretta
In July, Hot Toys announced they would be producing a Back to the Future 1/6th scale Marty McFly Figure as part of their Movie Masterpiece line. The first photos of the Michael J Fox-replica Marty McFly figure was very impressive, but what was in the background of the photos got even more buzz: a 1/6th Scale DeLorean Time Machine replica. From what I hear, Hot Toys only created the vehicle as set dressing for the Marty figure, but the response at Comic Con 2014 (where the figure was on display with the car) convinced them to make it a reality.
And today they have released new photos of the prototype, along with information about the features of the collectible, price and more. Since I was a child, I always wanted top own a DeLorean time machine — this might be my only (reasonably affordable) chance. Hit the jump to learn more about the Hot Toys DeLorean Time Machine.
The movie-accurate DeLorean Time Machine 1/6th scale collectible replica will feature “a meticulously crafted exterior with cable wires across body, detailed structure of the time machine’s engine deck and cabin, functional gull-wing doors, and a number of LED light-up functions on the exterior and interior.” You can pre-order it here for the expensive, but not crazy, price of $689.99.
Here is the official specifications from Hot Toys:
Hot Toys – MMS260 – Back to the Future: 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine Collectible Vehicle Specification
The 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine Collectible Vehicle specially features:
- Authentically and detailed 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine in Back to the Future
- Approximately 72cm L x 35cm W x 21cm H
- Exterior specially features:
- Six (6) front LED lights
- Eight (8) rear LED lights
- Meticulously crafted exterior with cable wires across body and detailed structure of the DeLorean Time Machine’s engine deck
- Functional gull-wing doors
- Turnable front wheels
- Interior specially features:
- Two (2) seaters
- One (1) flux capacitor with LED light-up function
- One (1) set of time circuits
- Detailed components with LED light-up function
So the Hot Toys DeLorean 1/6th scale replica will be over 28 inches in length, a whopping 2 and a half feet long, and almost 14 inches wide. Its literally one sixth the sixe of what a real DeLorean would be. I want this thing really bad, but I’m not sure I even have shelf space to support it. The bad news is two fold:
- They have not announced a price, but we expect it to be expensive. The Dark Knight Tumbler cost about $469.99 but didn’t feature as many flight features, but the 1989 Batman Batmobile they produced was about 7 inches longer and sold for $629.99. So we can expect something along the lines of $500-$600 for the Hot Toys DeLorean 1/6th scale replica.
- And they have stated a rather vague release date of Quarter one or two of 2016, which is a long way off (a new Star Wars movie could possibly be on home video by that time).