Posted on Monday, June 16th, 2014 by Germain Lussier
The upcoming Disney Channel Original movie, Descendants, has a fantastic idea. We know all the heroes of Disney movies live happily ever after, but the villains don’t die. So what happens to them? In Descendants, we learn all the villains have been exiled to the Isle of the Lost. When the new King of the Kingdom, the son of Belle and the Beast, takes the throne, he offers the kids of the villains a chance to redeem themselves. So the teenaged kids of Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, the Evil Queen from Snow White, Jafar from Aladdin and Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians leave the Isle and join prep school alongside the kids of Disney heroes.
Casting is complete and now Disney has released the first image of the four stars of the film. Below see Mal, the daughter of Maleficent, played by Dove Cameron; Evie, daughter of the Evil Queen, played by Sofia Carson; Jay, son of Jafar, played by Booboo Stewart; and Carlos, son of Cruella de Vil, played by Cameron Boyce.
Here’s the image via Disney:
The film is now in production and set to air on the Disney Channel next year. It’s directed by Kenny Ortega. Here’s the full press release, which includes a full list of characters, actors and more:
Disney’s iconic characters are living out their happy endings in Auradon, a present day idyllic kingdom. All defeated villains have been exiled to the Isle of the Lost, a remote island where they must spend their remaining days isolated from Auradon’s modern-day luxuries. Time passes, and the teenage son of King Beast and Queen Belle is poised to take the throne. His first proclamation: offer a chance at redemption to the trouble-making descendants of the villains stuck on the Isle of the Lost. The teenaged kids of Maleficent, the Evil Queen, Jafar and Cruella de Vil are allowed into the kingdom to attend prep school alongside the teenage progeny of iconic Disney heroes. The villainous parents see this as an opportunity to use their children to carry out an evil plan that will finally free them all from the Isle of the Lost. Will these evil teens follow in the footsteps of their wicked parents?
Disney’s Descendants is a contemporary live-action adventure comedy that introduces the teenage progeny of Disney’s iconic characters – most notably its evil villains. The Disney Channel Original Movie will premiere on the Disney Channel in 2015.
CHARACTERS PICTURED IN THIS PHOTO:
- Played by Dove Cameron (Disney Channel’s “Liv and Maddie”)
- Daughter of Maleficent, played by Kristin Chenoweth (“Glee,” Broadway’s “Wicked”)
- Played by newcomer Sofia Carson
- Daughter of the Evil Queen, played by Kathy Najimy (“Hocus Pocus,” “Sister Act”)
- Played by Booboo Stewart (“X-Men Days of Future Past,” “Twilight”)
- Son of Jafar, played by Maz Jobrani (“The Interpreter”)
- Played by Cameron Boyce (Disney Channel’s “Jessie”)
- Son of Cruella de Vil, played by Wendy Raquel Robinson (“The Game”)
- Ben, son of Belle and Beast – played by Australian newcomer Mitchell Hope
- Jane, daughter of Fairy Godmother – played by Brenna D’Amico
- Doug, son of Dopey – played by Zachary Gibson
- Chad, son of Cinderella – played by Jedidiah Goodacre
- Audrey, daughter of Sleeping Beauty – played by Sarah Jeffery
- Lonnie, daughter of Mulan – played by Dianne Doan
- And more surprises…
The Emmy Award-winning director and choreographer Kenny Ortega (“High School Musical”) is directing and also executive producing alongside Wendy Japhet (“An Education”, “The Italian Job”). Ortega is doing the choreography with longtime collaborator, Paul Becker (“So You Think You Can Dance Canada”).
“Descendants” is written by Josann McGibbon and Sara Parriott (“The Starter Wife,” “Desperate Housewives”). Behind-the-scenes talent includes production designer Mark Hofeling (“Teen Beach Movie,” “High School Musical”) and costume designer Kara Saun (“Project Runway,” “America’s Best Dance Crew”).
Cool Posts From Around the Web: