Posted on Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Angie Han
Ethan Hawke was the first to give away the possibility of a Before Sunrise / Before Sunset follow-up during an interview last fall, but since then Hawke, star Julie Delpy, and director Richard Linklater have been careful to avoid saying anything too solid on the subject. Deply would only affirm that they were “thinking about it” when asked about the possible project at Sundance, while Linklater denied that there was anything “concrete” when he was posed the question this spring.
But apparently something‘s been brewing between the three of them while we haven’t been looking, because now Hawke has let slip that the plan is to shoot this summer. Read his comments after the jump.
The topic of a Before Sunset follow-up popped up while Hawke talked up his latest project, The Woman in the Fifth, with Indiewire. “We’re also doing a follow-up to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, so that will be fun,” he revealed while discussing future collaborations with Linklater. “We’re going to shoot that this summer.”
Unfortunately, Hawke wouldn’t offer up much more than that. Pressed for more information, like where the new story would take place, Hawke said, “I’ve gotten into trouble, so I’m sworn to secrecy.” In fact, sites like ours — and posts like this — are part of why he’s been told to keep quiet. “The biggest change between this one and the last one is the Internet,” he added. “The first time we did it, we didn’t have any pressure; nobody gave a shit.”
His secrecy on the matter is just fine with me. Before Sunset left us wondering what happens after Celine (Delpy) warns Jesse (Hawke), “Baby, you’re gonna miss that plane,” and I’m happy to stay not knowing as long as possible. But it is great to hear they’re gearing up to actually shoot the third installment. It’s tough to imagine how they’re going to top that line — or the similarly perfect ending of Before Sunrise — but I’m eager to see them try.Cool Posts From Around the Web: