Posted on Wednesday, October 12th, 2011 by Peter Sciretta
Tom Rothman, co-chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fox Filmed Entertainment, appeared on Jim Rome this morning to announce the future of the Die Hard franchise. Apparently Rome is a huge fan of the Die Hard series and somehow scored the exclusive. Details can be found after the jump.
Here is what was revealed:
- Die Hard 5 will be titled A Good Day to Die Hard
- Shooting begins in January 2012
- The sequel will be released on February 14th, 2013 (Valentine’s Day).
- The story is set in Russia and begins with John McClane heading to Moscow to sweet talk some cops into letting his apparently-wayward son out of jail for something he did, but when he gets there, things surrounding his son’s arrest are not as they appear and world-threatening terrorist hijinks ensue.
- McClane, Jr. has yet to be cast.
- They still don’t know if it will be rated PG-13 or R.
The John McClane Jr news gives me flashbacks of Shia LaBeouf as Mutt Williams in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Lets hope it turns out better than that franchise addition. Thanks to /Film readers Cory D and Curry P for the details. And here is the information which has been reported previously:
- John Moore (Max Payne, The Omen, Behind Enemy Lines) was chosen by Willis to direct.
- Skip Woods (Swordfish, Hitman, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, A-Team) wrote the screenplay.
- Bruce Willis has said that it would have to expand in scope and go “worldwide”. Willis has said that the series needs to expand in scope. The original film had John McClane “trapped in a building”, in Die Harder he was “trapped in an airport”, Die Hard With a Vengeance expanded the scope to “New York City” and Live Free or Die Hard expanded the threat to the United States. So as you might have guessed it, Willis says the fifth film would have to go further: “Well it’s got to go worldwide.”
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead has recently said that she doesn’t expect to return for Die Hard 5 as John’s daughter Lucy Gennaro McClane.