Posted on Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 by Germain Lussier
Before the credits roll in Sam Mendes‘ Skyfall, the usual proclamation is made: “James Bond Will Return.” We thought we had plans for that return unraveled last week when screenwriter John Logan was hired to write the next two Bond films for star Daniel Craig. Even more exciting, those reports said that the two movies would link into one overall story, a first in the Bond universe.
Unfortunately that’s not true, say the Bond star. In a new interview he calls the proposition “impossible.” Listen to his quote and more after the jump.
The original Craig quote came form the German site Filmstarts. Here’s he is:
And here’s the quote itself:
No, I don’t know where that’s come from. It’s impossible to do a two parter, I heard that someone was talking about that we’re doing a two parter, but that’s the first I’ve heard about it. We can only do them one at a time, they take six months to shoot. You can’t write one movie thinking about the next. All we’re trying to do is get the next one sorted out and it’ll stand on its own and if I’m able I’ll do another one after that.
So who is right? If we go back to the original Deadline article and look at the choice of wording, it begins to make sense:
I’m told that Logan pitched an original two-movie arc to Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson while they were shooting Skyfall, and that he has already begun writing the scripts. If plans work out, this would be the first Bond film with a storyline to be played out over multiple films, and it certainly makes it feasible that the pictures could be shot back-to-back.
So Logan “pitched” the two arc story while on Skyfall. There’s no guarantee they said yes. The article specifically says “If plans work out.” I think it’s likely most of us just assumed this report was right and the idea has since been shot down.
One thing is certain though. James Bond will return and fans will be even more rabid for it after they see Skyfall, which is truly fantastic.Cool Posts From Around the Web: