Posted on Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 by Peter Sciretta
Comedian/actor Martin Lawrence appeared on Conan today to promote his television series Partners, and dropped a big bomb – Bad Boys 3 might finally happen.
[UPDATE: Watch the announcement on Conan after the jump.]
On Wednesday, Team Coco alerted us that Lawrence announced a third Bad Boys film with an e-mail featuring the subject line “CONAN: Martin Lawrence Announces ‘Bad Boys 3.'”
Conan asked Martin Lawrence if a Bad Boys 3 will happen, to which Martin responded:
“I believe so. Yes. I just talked to Jerry Bruckheimer yesterday and he said its real, they’re working on the script, they’re getting close and it all looks good.”
See the interview for yourself below. (Bad Boys 3 talk begins at around 3:15).
So the movie has yet to be greenlit, but Lawrence believes it will happen. Thanks to Precyse_ for the exact quotes. The show aired Wednesday night and video will be online tomorrow at 5:30 am eastern time at this address.
In July, Lawrence publicly called upon his Bad Boys co-star Will Smith to make a third film happen:
Last we heard, David Guggenheim (Safe House) was hired to write a script for Bad Boys 3, with the hope is that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence would sign to return. Novelist Peter Craig had previously worked on the threequel. At that time, Michael Bay wasn’t involved in the project, despite making the first two movies.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer said in April that Bad Boys 3 was a victim of bad timing:
It’s so funny because we’ll get Sony real excited to make the movie, and then Will [Smith] is off doing two movies. And then, Will will come back and be real excited about it, and Sony will say, ‘Well, maybe it’s not the time for this.’ And then, Ride Along came out and was a big hit, and now they’re all excited to make the movie, but Will is off doing something else. It’s just trying to get everybody together to make it. But, we’re working on the script. We have a lot of faith and hope that we’ll do it.
Fans have been asking for a third Bad Boys film for a while. At the 2008 MTV Movie Awards, Will Smith told Hollyscoop that he had an idea for Bad Boys 3, but added that “Michael (Bay) is too expensive now. He’s way too expensive.” And that is the big hurdle — getting the cash to bring back Will Smith, who has since exploded into a megastar, Bruckheimer, who never comes cheap, and Bay, who is now use to collecting percentages of toy merchandise Lucas-style. But now that Michael Bay may be passing the Transformers franchise to a new director with the inevitable fifth film, its possible he’s involved once again.
The car chase sequence in Bad Boys 2 is very under-appreciated, and is probably (wait for it.. hyperbolic statement coming up… in 3…2…1..) one of the best car chase action sequences of the last decade (seen below).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2jql7T8GsCool Posts From Around the Web: