Posted on Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 by Peter Sciretta
The creatures, environments, and cultures of James Cameron‘s Avatar will be featured in a new, 12,000-square-foot entertainment and educational experience set to debut in Taipei, Taiwan on December 7th, 2016 before touring the world. See some concept images and find out more, after the jump.
The state-of-the-art interactive exhibition is being called Avatar: Discover Pandora. Tickets are now on sale at Avatardiscoverpandora.com for the December 7th opening in Taiwan.
AVATAR: Discover Pandora is inspired by and filled with the extraordinary creatures, breathtaking environments and inspirational cultures of the James Cameron film. GES, a global events provider, is partnering with Beast Kingdom Co., Ltd., to bring AVATAR: Discover Pandora to Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Xinyi Place A11 6F Xinyi Theater in Taipei City, Taiwan for a three-month showcase. … AVATAR: Discover Pandora will give visitors the opportunity to interact with the exhibition through a series of exciting and engaging immersive environments that highlight Pandora’s diverse flora and fauna, exotic wildlife, and the amazing culture and mythology of its indigenous people, the Na’vi. … GES’s creative team has been working closely with Lightstorm and Fox to create an exhibition as authentic and groundbreaking as James Cameron’s remarkable 2009 film AVATAR. The scope for AVATAR: Discover Pandora captures the phenomenal beauty of the alien world, and brings it back to Earth for an intriguing look at the many ways Pandora reflects our own planet.
The 12,000-square-foot entertainment and educational experience will allow visitors of all ages to “explore the scientific and wondrous discoveries found on the world of Pandora.” That’s right; the exhibit will be presenting the world of Pandora as if it were a real place, kind of like how Disney Imagineering teased their Avatar-themed land at D23 Expo a couple of years back. The storyline will allow visitings to enter an exhibition “curated by the Pandoran Research Foundation where they will leave the 21st century behind and step into a 22nd-century world of the AVATAR franchise.”
Avatar: Discover Pandora Concept Art
The exhibition will tour to “additional global markets” after its three-month debut in Taipei, Taiwan, although those locations and dates will be released sometime in the coming months.
The exhibit features:
- Captivating settings such as the Hallelujah Mountains and Tree of Souls.
- Life-sized recreations of creatures including the Banshee, Direhorse, and Viperwolf.
- A Bioluminescent Theater, where visitors experience a recreation of Pandora at night and learn about its beauty, danger, and the connections among the many organisms that inhabit the moon.
- Learn about space travel and the history behind the discovery of Pandora in the Alpha Centauri solar system.
- Explore recreations of Pandora’s most compelling environments showcasing its unique plants and animals and what they can teach us about our own planet.
- Engage in interactive activities based on the culture, language, and music of the Na’vi, the nine-foot-plus-tall humanoids who are the indigenous people of Pandora.
- An examination of the Alpha Centauri system, home to the fictional planet Polyphemus and its moon Pandora that offers visitors a multimedia journey into the world’s discovery and the challenges of space travel to reach it from Earth.
- Experience the jewel-like glow of Pandora’s bioluminescent plants and animals.
- Interact with banshees, learn to operate an AMP suit, picture yourself as part of the Avatar Program.
- And more.
I’m interested to see if this exhibition gives us any clues about the upcoming Avatar sequels.
Cool Posts From Around the Web: