Alcon Says Rumors of Harrison Ford Being in Talks for ‘Blade Runner’ Follow-up are “Absolutely Patently False”
Posted on Tuesday, February 7th, 2012 by Angie Han
I guess some film news is just too good to be true. Over the weekend, news broke that star Harrison Ford had entered early talks to appear in Ridley Scott‘s upcoming Blade Runner sequel, sparking widespread excitement even among fans who’d previously been wary of revisiting the sci-fi classic. However, Alcon Entertainment’s Andrew Kosove is now “adamantly denying” the story, saying that they haven’t even begun to think about casting yet. More after the jump.
Kosove spoke with Deadline to quell the rumors. “It is absolutely patently false that there has been any discussion about Harrison Ford being in Blade Runner,” he said. “To be clear, what we are trying to do with Ridley now is go through the painstaking process of trying to break the back of the story, figure out the direction we’re going to take the movie and find a writer to work on it. The casting of the movie could not be further from our minds at this moment.”
Kosove further clarified that the new Blade Runner project would be less a direct sequel than a standalone film with ties to original. “What Ridley does in Prometheus is a good template for what we’re trying to do. He created something that has some association to the original Alien, but lives on its own as a standalone movie,” he explained. As for whether they plan to continue Rick Deckard’s (Ford) storyline from the first movie, Kosove responded, “It’s like asking if we’re going to make the sky red or blue, there has been no discussion about it.”
Though the odds of Ford coming back sound very slim, Kosove admitted that it couldn’t be ruled out entirely. “In advance of knowing what we’re going to do, I supposed you could say yes, he could. But I think it is quite unlikely,” Kosove said.
While I’m a little disappointed to hear Ford likely won’t be involved, Kosove’s denials fit much better with his earlier comments. “In no way do I speak for Ridley Scott. But if you’re asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford, the answer is no,” he said last summer. “This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting.”
Discuss: Are you bummed that Ford won’t be back, or happy to hear the film is sticking with its plan to start fresh?Cool Posts From Around the Web: