In this edition of sequel bits:
- Don’t expect to see Super Size Me 2 anytime soon (even though one of the film’s subjects would like you to).
- J.A. Bayona reveals why he dropped out of World War Z 2.
- Terry Crews says he won’t be in Expendables 4 due to threats from the film’s producer.
- Natalie Portman is down for a V for Vendetta sequel.
- Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy announce It Chapter 2 production.
- A new poster for The First Purge.
- The Sicario 2 director reveals why he didn’t consult with Sicario director Denis Villeneuve.
- Jon Kasdan confirms he’s writing Indiana Jones 5.
- Platinum Dunes insists they want to make more Friday the 13th films.
- Jumanji 3 will probably begin filming next year.
Read More »
The Expendables franchise is in even more trouble following Sylvester Stallone‘s disappointing departure from the action film series last week.
Much of the passion for this throwback action franchise comes from star and producer Sylvester Stallone, who rounded up a combination of his old action movie friends and some of the newer meatheads on the block for an assembly of mercenaries who shoot big guns, create big explosions and always take down the bad guy. Now that he’s gone, some of the franchise’s key players don’t have much of interest in returning, like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, December 21st, 2016 by Jacob Hall
The Expendables was less of a movie and more of an excuse for Sylvester Stallone and his various aging action movie co-stars to pose and preen. Like a former high school quarterback returning to his old stomping grounds to rally the new team at homecoming, these movies represent a nostalgic eagerness with a dash of vanity – you can feel everyone involved muttering “Let’s show these kids how it’s really done” between the frames.
It was charming for a little while. And then it wore off. The Expendables 3 didn’t make nearly as much money as the first two films, but those international numbers were apparently high enough to justify one more sequel. It looks like The Expendables 4 is happening and it will be in theaters in 2018.
Read More »
Posted on Sunday, January 17th, 2016 by Fred Topel
The Expendables 4 is already in development, with plans to film in China as many American blockbusters are prone to do. Although Sylvester Stallone has been the driving force behind the franchise, Expendables star Terry Crews believes that could now change. Find out why after the jump.
Read More »
When we watch Rocky III, we see icons Mr. T and Hulk Hogan fighting Sylvester Stallone. Both actors became international superstars after the film, but at the time of release, neither was a known quantity. Hogan himself credits Rocky III with helping launch him to superstardom. He and Stallone have been friends ever since.
In a new interview, Hogan revealed he and Stallone recently talked about teaming up once more on the big screen, this time in The Expendables 4. Read the Hulk Hogan Expendables 4 quotes and more below. Read More »
The Expendables series has shown diminishing returns both for fans and execs. The third movie diverted its focus away from the aging action heroes that were the driving force behind the series to begin with, and also fell vicim to pre-release piracy. (The industry is still debating the effect that leak had on the box office.) The Expendables 3 was also PG-13, and the downgraded level of intense action that followed that ratings change wasn’t viewed well by fans. Sylvester Stallone seems to get it, however, and says that the attempt to broaden the series’ appeal was “a horrible miscalculation” that will be rectified in the future. Will an R-Rated Expendables 4 be the course correct the series needs? Read More »
Posted on Thursday, March 13th, 2014 by Angie Han
Whether you like family-friendly animated adventures or hard-R action thrillers, someone out there is trying to make a sequel for you. After the jump:
- Kristen Bell would do Frozen 2 “in a heartbeat”
- Sullivan Stapleton really wants there to be another 300
- Jean Claude Van Damme would like to be in Expendables 4
- The Raid 3 won’t get going “for a couple of years”
- Fast & Furious 7 is heading to Abu Dhabi to shoot
- Leigh Whannell doesn’t know anything about Saw 8
- … but does have a few details to share about Insidious 3
- Transformers 4 reveals a bunch of (human) character posters
- The GNN staff goes wild in a deleted scene from Anchorman 2
Read More »