It’s been over a year since we heard that Kevin Smith was looking to return to the world of Mallrats with a sequel to his 1995 comedy, which starred Jason Lee and Jeremy London as a couple of meandering twentysomethings trying to figure out their place in the world. The film bombed at the box office over 20 years ago, but it’s a favorite among Kevin Smith’s fans, and it fits right in with the rest of the movies in his View Askew-niverse.
However, we haven’t heard any updates on the sequel since the cast was rounded up and a mall was found for production. It was meant to be shot towards the end of last year before Clerks 3, but that clearly didn’t happen, so what’s going on? Kevin Smith recently gave an update on Mallrats 2, and revealed that it has now been turned into a Mallrats TV series with 10 episodes planned. Find out how this came to be after the jump. Read More »
There’s a new poster for the James Bond film Spectre, and a couple new banners as well. Check those out below, along with these other stories:
- Selena Gomez joins Neighbors 2,
- and Patrick Dempsey joins Bridget Jones’s Baby,
- Kevin Smith has found his new mall for Mallrats 2,
- Titles for Ash vs Evil Dead episodes are revealed,
- Rumor says the Pacific Rim 2 shoot is delayed,
- Now that Terminator: Genisys is a global success, what about the sequel? JK Simmons doesn’t give anyone hope.
Read More »
Page 2 is a compilation of stories and news tidbits, which for whatever reason, didn’t make the front page of /Film. After the jump we’ve included 36 different items, fun images, videos, casting tidbits, articles of interest and more. It’s like a mystery grab bag of movie web related goodness.
Header Photo: Kevin Tong‘s Stellar Mondo Art for Brad Bird’s Sci-Fi ‘Tomorrowland‘
15 Movies You Won’t Believe Took So Long To Get Made
How ‘Kill the Boy’ Folded in Two ‘Game of Thrones’ Storylines to Improve Upon the Source Material
The ‘Star Wars’ LEGO Death Star Playset Reimagined With a Beautiful LEGO Friends Makeover
10 Most Messed-Up Versions Of The Hero’s Journey
The naked hypocrisy of Game Of Thrones’ nudity
Tomorrowland poster by MATT NEEDLE
Does ‘Orphan Black‘ Have a ‘Homeland‘ Problem?
EX MACHINA And The Art Of Character Identification
Read More »
When Brodie, TS, Gwen and maybe even Shannon Hamilton return to the big screen, there won’t be a “2” at the end of their title. Kevin Smith revealed on Twitter that the title to Mallrats 2, the sequel to his 1995 cult comedy, is MallBrats. Read more about the Mallrats 2 title below. Read More »
We’ve got set photos, release dates and cast announcements. Lots of good stuff in this edition of Sequel Bits. Below, read about the following:
- It Follows star Maika Monroe joins Independence Day 2.
- Michael Bay posts images of several vehicles from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.
- Josh Gad explains how John Lasseter told him about Frozen 2.
- Kevin Smith talks the number of characters and influences for Mallrats 2.
- Kung Fu Panda 3 has been moved up two months.
- Keanu Reeves says Bill and Ted 3 is closer than ever.
- Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday is on Instagram.
- See Penelope Cruz in Zoolander 2.
- The Super Troopers 2 IndieGoGo campaign has ended.
Read More »
This edition of sequel bits has some casting, some photos and some interesting trivia from sequels that never will be. Below, read the latest edition of Sequel Bits.
- Joey King and Brent Spiner return for Independence Day 2.
- The kids are scared in a new photo from Jurassic World.
- Brian O’Halloran returns for Mallrats 2.
- See a crazy photo of Kristen Wiig in Zoolander 2.
- Johnny Galecki joins the cast of Rings, plus more details.
- Why isn’t Ja Rule in the Fast and Furious sequels?
- The time has passed for a Dwayne Johnson Hobbs Fast and Furious spin off.
- A new Hitman: Agent 47 poster is out.
- The star of Tomorrowland ponders the possibility of a sequel.
- Watch Broken Lizard start training for Super Troopers 2.
- More discussion about a Dragon Tattoo sequel.
- Adam Sandler killed a Freddy Krueger prequel.
Read More »
Sometimes logistics force a filmmaker’s hand. Originally Kevin Smith was aiming to shoot Mallrats 2 in 2016, after Clerks 3, Hit Somebody, and Moose Jaws. However, Smith and his team found a mall they can shoot in and seriously mess up that won’t be around next year. Because of that, he just announced he’s going to make Mallrats 2 next. Read more about Mallrats 2, including news on more returning cast members, below. Read More »
Kevin Smith‘s Mallrats 2 is a long way away, but the director is already having a ton of fun with it. Over the past few weeks, he’s been in contact with the bulk of his original cast and tweeting images announcing they’ll be back for the sequel. At first, his tweets suggested he was trying to get 12 members of the original cast back but recently that number ballooned to 15. Who are the newest additions? Who could he still be going for? Read the updated Mallrats 2 casting below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Thursday, March 26th, 2015 by Angie Han
Some new pics, some casting, and some very interesting quotes in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Ethan Suplee is also back for Mallrats 2
- Alvin and the Chipmunks 4 books Bella Thorne
- Sam Jones says he’s already set for Ted 3
- Sharknado 3 will be “the worst,” says the Hoff
- See Zoolander and Hansel model for Valentino
- Vin Diesel predicts Best Picture for Furious 7
- There will be a gay couple in Independence Day 2
- James Wan is getting to work on The Conjuring 2
- Simon Pegg is “terrified” to write Star Trek 3
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, March 24th, 2015 by Angie Han
Kevin Smith is well on his way to getting the entire gang back together for Mallrats 2. Jason Lee is the latest actor confirmed to return for the comedy sequel, as announced by Smith in the most amusingly appropriate fashion. See the Jason Lee Mallrats 2 casting announcement after the jump. Read More »