The Saturday Night Live feature comedy MacGruber only pulled in just over $8.5 million at the box office on a budget of just $10 million. Not only did it bomb hard at the box office, but it couldn’t even make its budget back. However, in the years since it was released in 2010, it has garnered quite a cult following, and talk of a sequel surprisingly surfaced in 2012, with sparse updates here and there since. But now MacGruber 2 may finally be on its way towards becoming a reality. Read More »
In today’s Sequel Bits:
- Crazy new footage from the set of Fast 8 arrives in official and unofficial forms.
- Composter Thomas Newman on scoring Finding Dory.
- Karl Urban almost didn’t return for Star Trek Beyond.
- Producer Joel Silver talks up The Predator.
- Independence Day: Resurgence reveals an IMAX poster.
- Watch a new clip from Ice Age: Collision Course.
- MacGruber 2 may still happen.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, February 27th, 2015 by Angie Han
Will Forte has heard your cries for a MacGruber 2, America, and he is ready to deliver. All he needs is to get his new Fox series The Last Man on Earth out of the way first. But after that, he says, the sequel is “Priority No. 1.” Read the MacGruber 2 Will Forte comments after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Friday, September 5th, 2014 by Angie Han
Thought the piss-poor box office figures for this past summer would discourage studios from making more sequels? Think again. After the jump:
- Relativity will release The Woman in Black 2
- Could Koba be back for the next Apes movie?
- Wesley Snipes might return for another Blade film
- Will Forte still really wants a MacGruber sequel
- Pirates of the Caribbean 5 may set sail for Australia
- Mission: Impossible 5 jets off to Morocco
- Is there any chance of more Deadwood?
- 24 may get that long-promised big screen sequel yet
- More Flowers in the Attic TV movies are coming
- Rumor has it the 50 Shades sequel will star a Kardashian
- The next Maze Runner is already in pre-production
- See a (SFW) pic from the set of Magic Mike XXL
- Lorde maybe teases her Hunger Games contribution
Read More »
Posted on Friday, May 24th, 2013 by Angie Han
I hope you’re excited for Human Centipede III, because shooting in LA has already begun. Also after the jump:
- Will Forte is working on MacGruber 2 this summer
- Could the Fast Five vault heist happen in real life? (No.)
- Charlie Sheen returns to his Latino roots for Machete Kills
- Glenn Morshower won’t be in Transformers 4, but you could be
- Rumor has it Sharon Stone wants a Basic Instinct 3
- J.J. Abrams hasn’t ruled out a third Star Trek
- Hatchet III and The Smurfs 2 get new posters
Read More »
Is it still possible to surprise an actor about the popularity of one of their films? It seems unlikely, when anyone can set up a Google alert to be notified when conversation is happening about any topic, but maybe Will Forte has better things to do than sit around reading what people say about MacGruber.
The 2010 SNL to bigscreen film was a financial disappointment, but MacGruber has a loyal fanbase, whether Forte knows it or not. That fanbase wouldn’t mind a sequel, and when asked about the chances for another film, Forte told AICN over the weekend, “we’re proud of it, and we jokingly talk about the sequel all the time. But I don’t think anybody in their right mind would give us any money for it.”
Given a chance to follow up on that statement, Forte says that he didn’t expect to be asked about MacGruber at all, and that the comment above was partially uttered out of surprise. And while a sequel isn’t necessarily happening, he plans to write one regardless. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 by Angie Han
Where the original Blade Runner was known for its neon urban landscapes, the Blade Runner sequel will take us all the way out into flat, dusty farm country — or so says Ridley Scott, while describing one scene he’s already visualized for his upcoming project. Also after the jump:
- Men in Black 3 concept art shows deleted scenes, alternate Boris the Animal design
- Find out when and where Iron Man 3 is shooting in North Carolina this week
- Red, white, and blue balloons dot new set photos of A Good Day to Die Hard
- Lionsgate unveils a second TV spot for The Expendables 2
Read More »
When MacGruber, the big-screen expansion of a few small MacGyver-parodying skits from SNL, was released in 2010, the film was considered a bomb. In short order, however, the film developed a passionate following, and the cult of MacGruber continues to grow from month to month.
Still, given how long it took to get the stars to align for a sequel to Anchorman — a much more popular film — it seems unlikely that we’ll ever see another MacGruber, no matter what director Jorma Taccone and star Will Forte might like, And yet they’re talking about it anyway. Taccone says the pair are planning a sequel, and tells ScreenCrush “It would be me, Will and John [Solomon] writing it again. Every time I hang out with Will, we talk about all our cool ideas for the sequel. We have the idea for it and we have a title, but I won’t tell you what it is.” As far as plot goes, Taccone would only reveal that there’s an inspiration from Die Hard, in that the film would take place at Christmas.
After the break Dante Basco, who played the Lost Boy Rufio in Steven Spielberg‘s Hook, says he’s part of the team developing a prequel explaining Rufio’s story. Read More »