(Welcome to Pop Culture Imports, a column that compiles the best foreign movies and TV streaming right now.)
One of the best movies of 2018 is streaming now, and it’s got good company in this week’s jam-packed Pop Culture Imports. I’ll admit that I occasionally struggle to populate this column, but not so this week. First, do yourself a favor and Hirokazu Kore-eda’s masterful Palme D’Or winner Shoplifters, then check out the other best foreign movies and TV streaming now, which include the Oscar-winning Iranian drama A Separation, the classic Stephen Chow martial arts comedy Kung Fu Hustle, the sensual Mexican fantasy Like Water for Chocolate, and the gripping German historical drama The Lives of Others.
Fire up those subtitles and let’s get streaming.
Read More »
In this edition of Sequel Bits:
- Kung Fu Hustle 2 is currently being developed.
- Some updates on the mysterious Ghostbusters 3.
- There’s still a chance we’ll see a “U.S.S. Callister” follow-up, but it won’t be in Black Mirror season 5.
- Brad Bird and Patton Oswalt make a disgusting joke about the fictional Ratatouille 2.
- Jason Blum wants 10 more Halloween sequels.
- Avatar franchise producer Jon Landau isn’t worried about that long gap between Avatar and Avatar 2.
- James Cameron has plans for Alita sequels, but don’t get your hopes up.
- Just what is going on with that Pirates of the Caribbean reboot?
Read More »
Be thankful for Bill Murray. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but every time he does an interview, Murray seems to give answers that are actually honest and thoughtful, as opposed to spitting out a party line. Not that I’d expect much different from a guy who goes against the Hollywood grain. But refreshing nonetheless.
What’s Murray talking about this time? Well, Garfield, for one, and the reason he did the film. And Ghostbusters 3, which he continues to dismiss as “a crock.” Read More »