Jimmy Wong is just happy to be here. In just his third feature film, the Chinese-American actor found himself acting opposite Donnie Yen, Gong Li — some of the biggest names in the Hong Kong movie industry. And he’s playing a character from a beloved Disney animated movie, the laidback Imperial Army recruit Ling, in Niki Caro’s remake of Mulan. It’s a lot of pressure, but Wong wouldn’t have it any other way.
“For me, I’m just happy to be able to be a voice in general for anyone that’s out there looking for representation on screen,” Wong said in an interview over Zoom with /Film.
Read More »
In this edition of Casting Bits:
- Benicio del Toro is set to star in Oliver Stone‘s next drama, White Lies.
- Mark Hamill joins Knightfall as it’s renewed for season 2.
- Disney’s live-action Mulan remake adds Jimmy Wong and Doua Moua.
- Roland Emmerich‘s Midway enlists Patrick Wilson, Aaron Eckhart, Nick Jonas, Tadanobu Asano, and Keean Johnson.
- Jesse Plemons to co-star with Keri Russell in Scott Cooper‘s Antlers.
- Patton Oswalt joins Disney’s live-action Kim Possible movie.
- Joel Kinnaman joins Ron Moore’s space drama at Apple.
Read More »
Don Coscarelli is back! The director of the Phantasm films and Bubba Ho-Tep may not be the most technically proficient filmmaker around, but he makes films that have an undeniable appeal. I can’t imagine how anyone who likes strange films and genre stuff wouldn’t love Coscarelli’s movies — they create their own space outside the typical horror/fantasy sphere.
And now he’s back with John Dies at the End. I’ve avoided a lot of material about this movie, and prior to watching this trailer knew only that the film features Paul Giamatti, Clancy Brown and a story about a new drug and subjective reality.
After watching the teaser trailer I don’t know much more than that, but I do know that I’m very excited to see the film, which appears to be characterized by a really bizarre story and some spectacularly gooey, very practical creature effects. Check out the footage below. Read More »