Posted on Thursday, September 5th, 2013 by Angie Han
While Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are all set to return for the Independence Day sequel, director Roland Emmerich told press earlier this summer that Will Smith likely wouldn’t come back, because he was just too expensive and too famous. But that was before After Earth proved a critically reviled flop, and now it seems Smith may be a little more open to the idea of a return.
In a recent interview, Emmerich revealed that he has a meeting set up with Smith to discuss the project. “Anything can happen,” he said of Smith’s status regarding the project. Hit the jump to read the rest of his comment, and to get a possible update on the release date.
Read More »
Briefly: You won’t get to see the White House blow up in 3D. Not as Roland Emmerich envisioned it, anyway. While Fox had plans to release a post-converted 3D version of Independence Day on July 3, 2013, the studio has scrapped that plan. We know that the re-release was a bit of pump-priming for the possible sequel. (Or sequels, as there has been talk of two more films.) So with this cancelation, does that mean the sequels are off, too. We don’t know at this point. We also don’t know precisely why this re-release was canned; does it have to do with general interest in the film, or pricing and logistical problems with the conversion?
And while we’re on the subject of 3D re-releases from Fox, there’s word that the studio has pulled the Revenge of the Sith 3D release up by one week. So the 3D version of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones will hit on September 20, 2013, and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith arrives on October 4. Hooray?