There was a ton of Star Wars news coming out of D23 Expo 2015, and if you missed any of that from the Star Wars Anthology films getting new branding, to the Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster by artist Drew Struzen, to the first photo and cast from Star Wars: Rogue One, to the director of Star Wars Episode 9, to Star Wars Lands announced for Disney theme parks, head over to our D23 2015 news roundup. But there is a lot of Star Wars tidbits we missed over the last few days, so lets dive in. Here is what to expect in today’s Star Wars Bits:
- Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor Who, has been cast in a Star Wars project, but which one?
- George Lucas blames a Walt Disney creation for Jar Jar Binks.
- According to JJ Abrams, who is the Ralph McQuarrie of Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- Which monumental Star Wars set has been recreated for Star Wars: Rogue One? (actually, not much of a spoiler)
- Ralph McQuarrie‘s Influence on Star Wars Land
- Why Star Wars: Battlefront won’t have a single player campaign mode.
- Is Drew Struzan‘s Force Awakens D23 Expo poster the film’s official poster? Will there be another?
All that and more in today’s edition of Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump now.
Read More »
Even though there may not be any new footage from Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuting at D23 this weekend, fans were still given a pretty fantastic treat that is simultaneously something we weren’t sure that we would get to see, but also something unsurprising.
The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster has been revealed with illustrations from famed poster artist Drew Struzan, the man behind the final theatrical posters for the special edition of the Star Wars trilogy as well as the prequel trilogy, and it’s just as gorgeous as we all hoped. Plus, it also gives us a tease of a certain elegant weapon being used by someone we haven’t seen wield one yet. Yeah, you know what I’m talking about. Read More »
Three things I love: Star Wars, Lego and posters. So I just about flipped when I saw that Lego had recreated Drew Struzan‘s posters for the first six Star Wars films. There’s no real rhyme or reason behind it, other than these six movies are now available digitally for the first time ever, but they’re still super cool. Check out the Lego Star Wars posters below. Read More »
Concrete information about the new Star Wars movies is a rare commodity. Right now, we don’t know way more than we do know and that lack of definitive knowledge leads to debate, discussion and arguments. These are happening every day amongst Star Wars fans and will continue until Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens on December 18. Probably beyond, too, since the story won’t end with that film.
With these Star Wars conversations more prevalent than actual information, we decided to have a little fun. We’ve gone against Han Solo’s better judgement and set some simple, Las Vegas odds against 15 questions fans are currently debating. Most are non-spoiler, a few are (clearly marked) spoilers, but all are very much at the center of the current Star Wars conversation. Read More »
Legendary poster artist Drew Struzan is the best kind of retired. He’s retired, unless he feels like working. So though the artist is officially off the books, he’s released a few posters for Mondo in the past few years. He did a poster for How to Train Your Dragon 2, and if rumors are correct he might be doing something for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. His latest poster is for an upcoming documentary called Batkid Begins: The Wish Heard Around the World, which will premiere later this month at the Slamdance Film Festival. It’s the tale behind the Make-A-Wish story that captured the world.
Below, check out the full poster and watch a new behind the scenes video about Batkid Begins. Read More »
This latest Star Wars Bits might be the most jam-packed yet. Below, read about the following:
- Kylo Ren may be on all the Star Wars: The Force Awakens toy packaging and those toys might be out September 4.
- Read about 13 brand new Star Wars Lego sets including some from The Force Awakens.
- Fanboys director Kyle Newman will present an original Star Wars live read at Star Wars Celebration.
- Buy cute Force Awakens inspired art prints of Finn, Rey and Poe.
- Drew Struzan is once again rumored to be working on the Force Awakens poster.
- Watch a five minute video about the locations of Return of the Jedi.
- What did Oscar Isaac‘s latest costar Jessica Chastain think of The Force Awakens trailer?
- Check out two collections coming soon of Star Wars comics published by Dark Horse.
- ComiXology just added a ton of Star Wars content.
- Rumor has it Marvel’s Star Wars #1 will have no less than 100 variant covers.
- Wired figured out how fast Rey’s speeder goes in The Force Awakens.
- BB-8 has more than meets the eye, according to rumored concept art.
Read More »
Star Wars Episode VII is filming and you can see the stars on set, find out about the shoot, read about rumors, buy posters and so much more in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following.
- Watch Harrison Ford talk about Star Wars Episode VII.
- Young musicians The Healer Twins filmed a small scene in Star Wars Episode VII.
- John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are filming in the Abu Dhabi desert, watch them travel to set.
- Read a story about how Episode VII ended up in Abu Dhabi.
- You can win some super limited edition Star Wars Episode VII merchandise.
- Speculate about the potential Obi-Wan granddaughter role.
- Drew Struzan addresses the rumors of him doing the Episode VII poster.
- Potential Episode VII characters have been spotted in Iceland.
- Marvel’s Star Wars comics could be coming later this year.
- See new Star Wars posters from Mark Englert and Mark Hamill’s son, Nathan Hamill.
- UCB is hosting The Star Wars Expanded Universe Funeral Celebration.
Read More »
Poster artist Drew Struzan may have “retired” not long ago, but he still does the odd piece of work here and there. Some of Struzan’s most famous posters are for the Star Wars films, and with Star Wars Episode VII in production there has been plenty of reason to assume he’ll do a new one-sheet for the JJ Abrams continuation of George Lucas’ saga. Now the rumor that will be the easiest one to accept this week says that Struzan will indeed do a new Star Wars poster. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Frank Darabont and poster artist Drew Struzan go back quite a ways, with the artist having done art for films such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, and even the in-film art for The Mist, among other collaborations.
Now Struzan has created a poster for Mob City, the new TNT show from Darabont which stars Jon Bernthal, Ed Burns and Milo Ventimiglia in a 1940s tale of the mob’s incursion into LA. Check out the poster below. Read More »
Two more actors have been rumored for roles in Star Wars Episode VII and one of them is literally named “Solo.” Read who they are, as well the following, after the jump.
- A casting call in New York is looking for three leads in Star Wars Episode VII.
- An internal Toys R Us memo offers up a logo and strategy for the new Star Wars trilogy.
- New episodes of The Clone Wars, as well as Episode VII featurettes, might be exclusively released on Apple devices.
- Drew Struzan (above) might have turned down the opportunity to do the poster for Star Wars Episode VII.
- A fire was reported at the Skywalker Ranch.
Read More »