Posted on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 by Angie Han
As Star Wars prepares to mount a big-screen comeback, so does Black Angel, the “lost” short that debuted in front of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in 1980. A Black Angel feature film is now in the works, with Roger Christian back to write and direct and Rutger Hauer and John Rhys-Davies set to star. Learn all about the Black Angel feature film after the jump. Read More »
These days, Disney is the rare studio still putting short films in front of some of their features. Coincidentally, a famous company they’d eventually own did that several decades earlier. In 1980, George Lucas wanted a short film to screen in front of his highly anticipated sequel to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back. He got his art director, Roger Christian, to make a short, and the result was Black Angel, a fantasy that was heavily influential in the years that followed. It played in a few hundred UK cinemas but prints of the film were thought to be lost.
A few years back, Christian teased that the film had been found and would get a digital release in the future. That day is today. Black Angel has now been uploaded online and you can watch the full 25 minute short film below, along with an intro from Christian himself. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
George Lucas basically wipes his butt with money these days (or could if he wanted to), but as a newly surfaced payroll memo from 1968 shows, even this gazillionaire had relatively humble beginnings. Also after the jump:
- The long lost Black Angel will get a digital release in 2014
- Harrison Ford is still ducking questions about Episode VII
- Asa Butterfield would love to play Han Solo’s son, ICYWW
Read More »
The long wait for official Star Wars Episode VII information continues, but the Star Wars news never stops. In this edition of Star Wars Bits, the CEO of IMAX makes it sound like Episode VII could have IMAX scenes as well as the following:
- More images, footage and story are revealed from cancelled Boba Fett game Star Wars 1313.
- Check out an animated open letter to J.J. Abrams.
- Learn ten new things about Return of the Jedi from J.W. Rinzler’s book.
- See the long lost short film Black Angel next month in northern California.
- A trailer for Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Pinball is online.
- The trench run was recreated by the Oculus Rift.
- Scientists might have figured out how to create a lightsaber.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Thursday, September 19th, 2013 by Angie Han
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers dismisses the Episode VII talk, while Mark Hamill all but confirms his casting by hitting the gym. Also after the jump:
- Star Wars Rebels will drop by New York Comic-Con
- See a trailer for Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force
- Steve Sansweet‘s Rancho Obi-Wan sets a Guinness record
- A “lost” short with Star Wars ties will return to the screen
Read More »
Love is in the air in this edition of Star Wars Bits. After the jump read a few romantic stories, a few speculative ones, some Star Wars history and a possible massive hint at Episode VII. Here’s what we’ve got:
- Disney announced the dates of their long running Star Wars Weekends in 2013
- Ewan McGregor would “be up for” Star Wars Episode VII if needed.
- A long-lost short film that played in front of The Empire Strike Back, Black Angel, might soon resurface online.
- Wes Anderson thinks he could make a good Han Solo origin movie.
- Star Wars MMO The Old Republic is trying to incorporate same sex romance.
- George Lucas just got engaged to the chairman of DreamWorks animation.
- If you have an idea for a Pringles Star Wars commercial, you could win $75,000.
- Could the lead character of Star Wars Episode VII be female?
Read More »