Posted on Thursday, May 15th, 2014 by Russ Fischer
On July 29 we’re going to see the first new Twin Peaks material to arrive in 22 years. And while this stuff isn’t exactly “new” — it is footage that David Lynch shot for Fire Walk With Me — it is footage that fans have hoped to see ever since laserdisc and DVD made the presentation of deleted scenes a common practice. The scenes feature characters from the TV show who were cut from the movie, and entire minor plot lines. Were you upset that your favorite character from the show wasn’t given time in the film? These scenes will probably have you covered.
David Lynch has always talked about being game to release this footage. The issue was simply money. Not that he wanted to be paid to do it; he wanted to finish the footage properly so it would be mixed and color-timed to fit in with the existing film. And now, for the blu-ray box set — dubbed The Entire Mystery, Lynch’s wishes, and ours, have been granted.
Below, watch a teaser for the Twin Peaks blu-ray set — a teaser which features some of that deleted material.
Update: We’ve added specs for the 10-disc set, and an image of the packaging. The set will feature all episodes of the TV show, including both versions of the pilot, and the theatrical version of Fire Walk With Me in addition to deleted scenes and extras.
Charles de Lauzirika, who produced this set (and also produced the Gold Box DVD collection) said on Facebook this morning, “[this] simply blows away the Gold Box. And you ain’t seen nuthin’ yet!” EW has the teaser. Keep an eye on the Twin Peaks – The Entire Mystery tumblr for more info. Can it be July 29 now?
Here are the specs.
- A retrospective documentary on the making of “Fire Walk With Me,” including cast and crew interviews
- Newly-discovered deleted scenes and outtakes from the TV series
- Over 130 behind-the-scenes images from Lynch’s personal collection
- 10 “vignettes of iconic Twin Peaks themes” entitled “Atmospherics,” feature a montage of sounds and imagery “to further immerse fans in the mysterious world of Twin Peaks.”
- The previously-released four-part documentary “Secrets From Another Place: Creating Twin Peaks”
- Extended version of “A Slice of Lynch,” featuring the complete and uncut conversation between Lynch and cast members Kyle MacLachlan and Madchen Amick previously included on the Gold Box DVD collection.
- New featurette in which Lynch interviews the members of the Palmer family, Leland, Sarah, and Laura, in character “about their current existence in this life and the next,” followed by in addition to a brand-new featurette in which Lynch interviews all three members of the Palmer family (Leland, Sarah and daughter Laura) in character “about their current existence in this life and the next,” followed by a conversation with actors Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie and Sheryl Lee.