Theme Park Bits: Star Wars Land, Harry Potter, Haunted Mansion, Disneyland FastPass+, Captain America and More
Posted on Monday, November 2nd, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
It’s been a while since the last Theme Park Bits, and I have a lot of bits saved up to discuss, including the following:
- Universal Studios Hollywood launches a virtual tour of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- FastPass+-style tests being conducted at Space Mountain in Disneyland.
- Watch a multi-angle perspective video of Fast & Furious: Supercharged.
- Captain America will be leaving Disneyland next week.
- Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land permit maps reveal Disney Hollywood Studios changes.
- Could Disney World’s Star Wars Land open in time for Christmas 2018?
- Marvel teases a new Haunted Mansion comic book series.
- Disney World’s Hollywood Studios will launch a Disney villain-only dinner event called Club Villain.
- New details on Animal Kingdom’s upcoming “Rivers of Light” show.
All that and more, in today’s Theme Park Bits. Hit the jump to board the ride.
InsideTheMagic has uncovered permit maps for Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land which reveal how drastically Disney Hollywood Studios will change with the upcoming renovations and additions.
In this map we see an aerial view of Hollywood Studios with an overlay of notes and proposed additions. You can get a scale of just how much bigger the park will get and how Disney plans on handling the influx of visitors (and construction crews) with proposed bridges, parking and roads.
This is yet to be confirmed but the initial report claims that construction for the new areas will begin January 2016 and finish by October 2018. Does that mean that Star Wars Land could open as early as Holiday 2018? We don’t know. That time frame seems a little fast for Disney, so I wouldn’t count on it.
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) October 31, 2015
In a tweet posted on Halloween, Marvel Comics teases a new Disney Kingdoms comic book, most likely based on the popular Disneyland attraction The Haunted Mansion. With the Disney Kingdoms line of comic books, Disney has been hoping to expand the mythologies behind the rides, possibly in hopes of helping fuel big-screen adaptations.
Universal Studios Hollywood’s version of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is set to launch next year and the park has launched a virtual tour of the new land online.
The virtual tour will take you through a parchment map rendering of the upcoming new land, including beloved establishments such as Zonko’s Joke Shop, the Three Broomsticks, and Honeydukes sweet shop. Also: Harry Potter stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint provide commentary on the virtual tour alongside Universal Parks creative president Mark Woodbury.
There isn’t much in terms of new information as much of the new land is a re-implantation of concepts and attractions from the Universal Studios Orlando Resort version of the Wizarding Worlds.