Posted on Tuesday, March 8th, 2016 by Ethan Anderton
Just last week, Disney and Lucasfilm officially announced that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be hitting digital download on April 1st with the Blu-ray and DVD hitting shelves on April 5th. One of the special features included on that home video release was revealed to be Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey, a feature-length documentary looking at the making of arguably the most anticipated movie ever. But if you’re at SXSW next week, you can catch it early.
The Star Wars: The Force Awakens documentary will premiere at SXSW on Monday, March 14th at 12pm at the Paramount Theatre. Featuring in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers, the documentary will run through the making of the movie from beginning to end.
If you’re looking to attend this event at SXSW, following the premiere of the movie, BAFTA Award-winning and Academy Award-nominated visual effects supervisor Roger Guyett, Academy Award-nominated supervising sound editor Matthew Wood and co-producer Michelle Rejwan will be on hand for a Q&A. You can ask them all the nerdy questions you’ve been waiting to have answered, assuming they all have to do with the making of the movie and not who Rey’s parents are.
Since this is a Disney-sanctioned documentary, I wouldn’t expect to find out about any of the rumored drama behind the scenes, especially when it comes to the supposed clash about the release date. But maybe we’ll get to see how production reacted and dealt with the accident on set that saw Harrison Ford break his leg.
If you’re not at SXSW, you’ll just have to be patient for a few more weeks. You can pre-order your copy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray and DVD right now, and you’ll get all these special features in addition to the documentary:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
- Plus Deleted Scenes
My copy is already ordered and I can’t wait to watch it over and over again, especially to pore over details of Rey’s Force vision after touching Luke’s lightsaber.
We might have coverage of this documentary premiere at SXSW next week, so stay tuned for more.Cool Posts From Around the Web: