On the /Film podcast, we produce a lot of audio content on a weekly basis. On a given week, about 3.5 hours of audio gets sent through the /Filmcast feed (occasionally, some of it is even good!). With the sheer volume being what it is, it’s entirely possible that you might have missed some of the most memorable moments of the year, so I thought it would be a good idea to compile some of them for your reference.
Before we get the festivities rolling, I just want to take a moment to thank every single listener who’s tuned in this year. Your support has kept us going, and given us the momentum we need to get the guests we’ve gotten. Without you, there would be no /Filmcast. I also want to thank all of the guests, whether they are listed in the below highlight reel or not; your willingness to participate in our shenanigans has made for some truly memorable listening, and I think it has given us a look into the world of film and into the mind of filmmakers that you can’t really get anywhere else on the internet. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!
- In March, writer/director Kevin Smith stopped by for an in-depth discussion of Watchmen.
- Academy Award-nominated writer/director Jason Reitman spent 2 hours and 15 minutes answering questions from /Film readers and talking with me about the themes of Up in the Air.
- Writer/director Mike Dougherty (X2, Superman Returns) shared some thoughts about getting Trick R’ Treat made, and about some of his other projects.
- Writer/director Kyle Newman reviewed District 9 with us and revealed the harrowing backstory of what went wrong with Fanboys.
- Writer/director Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko, The Box) stopped by to talk about his love for A Serious Man and to reflect on the themes of his other films.
- Writer/director Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) chatted with us about Harry Potter and offered some thoughts about the ailing entertainment industry.
- Writer/director Nick Jasenovec (Paper Heart) praised Inglorious Basterds with us.
- Writer/director Rian Johnson hung out with us in an epic After Dark episode, read some /Filmcast slashfiction and made fun of my banana bread. Also, we talked about movies briefly.
- Writer/director Dan Eckman (Derrick Comedy, Mystery Team) geeked out with us about the pleasures of 2012.
- Actor Clifton Collins Jr. shared some stories about how he prepared for some of his most memorable roles.
- In perhaps the biggest interview I’ve ever done/ever will do, I spoke with director James Cameron.
- We did an audio commentary for Step Up 2: The Streets, which Step Up director Jon Chu apparently listened to many, many times.
- We did an audio commentary for Groundhog Day with actor Stephen Tobolowsky, AKA Ned Ryerson.
- I launched a new storytelling podcast with Stephen Tobolowsky. My favorite episodes of this podcast thus far: The Alchemist and The Middle Chapters. In my mind, these are must-listens!
Am I missing any? Let me know at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or add your own in the comments below.
Of course, if you want to make sure you don’t miss a moment of excitement and adventure in 2010, you can always subscribe to the /Filmcast: