Neither M. Night Shyamalan, Will Smith or Jaden Smith showed up at San Diego Comic-Con this past weekend, but their new movie did. After Earth had a subdued, small panel Saturday morning featuring screenwriter Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) and director of photography Peter Suschitzky (The Empire Strikes Back) talking about the world in which the 2013 sci-fi action film is set.
After the jump, you can watch the first viral teaser for the film as well as several revealing clips from the panel itself. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, July 12th, 2012 by Angie Han
Like so many actors before him, Will Smith has caught the directing bug. Smith has mainly stuck with acting and producing since breaking out in the ’90s with The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but is now eyeing a directorial debut with a Cain and Abel movie set up at Sony. This seems to be the same project that he attached himself to back in 2010, as a star and producer. Last we heard, that script (by Dan Knauf and Smith’s brother-in-law Caleeb Pinkett) combined two hot Hollywood trends — Biblical epics and vampires. More details after the jump.
Read More »
The producing/directing team behind Universal Soldier, Stargate and Independence Day, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, are now officially back together and working on Independence Day 2. Devlin confirmed this in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter and though there’s no timetable on the release, discussions have begun with the returning cast members and the 2013 3D re-release of the first film will probably fit in somewhere. But wait, haven’t we heard all this before?
Read his quote and more after the jump. Read More »
Buried in the incredibly busy Saturday schedule for San Diego Comic-Con 2012 is a panel concerning M. Night Shyamalan‘s latest film, After Earth. The sci-fi film, which stars Will and Jaden Smith, seems like a natural fit for Comic-Con, but neither the director or its two leads will be in attendance.
Instead, the panel will be in a medium sized room. It will feature the screenwriter and director of photography, and focus more on the comic books designed to accompany the film than it will on the movie itself. Seems like an odd approach but, in this reveal, we do get the first official plot synopsis of the movie. Most of the information has been rumored before but now it’s official. Check it out below. Read More »
Something about this pre-holiday week has set sequel news on fire, and there are news bites about sequels of just about every possible variation. In this edition of sequel bits:
- Oops, CBS reported a Big Lebowski sequel that does not, and will not exist
- The Expendables 2 gets a tie-in video game
- Think Like a Man gets a follow-up movie
- The Bourne Legacy producer hopes the next installment might bring together Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner
- Todd Phillips says the third Hangover is really the last
- Peter Berg doesn’t rule out the possibility of Hancock 2 just yet.
Read More »
Comic Con kicks off in San Diego on July 11, and with the show only a month away we haven’t had too much concrete news about what will appear, and what is likely to miss the show. We know that The Dark Knight Rises won’t be there, as Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan have avoided SDCC in the past, and the film opens just after the event, anyway.
But what will be there? Quite a few studios aren’t bothering with the big Hall H panels that have been a cornerstone of the film presence in the past: Paramount, 20th Century Fox, Relativity Media, DreamWorks and DreamWorks Animation reportedly won’t do Hall H panels, and Universal remains undecided on that front.
But Disney and Marvel will be in Hall H, and Warner Bros. has plans to show up with non-Nolan footage. More info is below. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Angie Han
Lots of fun odds and ends in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Early posters for A Good Day to Die Hard and Percy Jackson hit the Licensing Expo
- Men in Black 3 concept art reveals a (slightly) alternate design for the monowheels
- Charlize Theron‘s role in Mad Max: Fury Road apparently requires her to have really short hair
- A handful of new stills show Bella and Edward’s kid in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is in the process of being written, says producer Alex Kurtzman
- Will Smith is iffy on doing on I Am Legend 2 because he doesn’t want to be “the sequel guy”
- Did you know there was almost a sequel to E.T.? Steven Spielberg explains why it didn’t happen.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
This week, Dave, Devindra, and Adam discuss Wes Anderson’s delightful Moonrise Kingdom, try to figure out what went wrong with G.I. Joe Retaliation, and tell you whether the new Men in Black is worth seeing or not.
You can always e-mail us at slashfilmcast(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or call and leave a voicemail at 781-583-1993.
Download or Play Now in your Browser:
Subscribe to the /Filmcast:
Read More »