Walking out of Oblivion, you’ll probably have a few questions. Not plot questions, mind you. Director Joseph Kosinski makes what happens in the movie very clear. The questions are more about the director’s process. His mindset. Was Kosinski deliberatly echoing sci-fi films of the past? How much input did uncredited screenwriter Michael Arndt (Star Wars Episode VII) have? How did he pull off some of the film’s seamless visual effects? Did changing studios alter the movie? Is he offended by the Wall-E comparisons? Has he started thinking sequel? And which Disney property is next for the director, Tron 3 or The Black Hole?
Luckily, Kosinski was kind enough to give /Film a few minutes on the Universal Studios Backlot the week before the film’s opening to answer those questions, and a whole lot more. Check it out below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Monday, April 1st, 2013 by Angie Han
There’s a lot to look at in today’s Sequel Bits, including concept art for G.I. Joe: Retaliation and a bloody new image from The Raid 2: Berandal. Also after the jump:
- Director offers status update and possible title for Tron 3
- John Cusack may be back for Hot Tub Time Machine 2 this summer
- Transformers 4 will shoot in May; is Shia LaBeouf returning?
- Producer says a G.I. Joe / Transformers crossover is “possible”
- Lindsay Lohan parodies herself in a Scary Movie 5 image
Read More »
Some casting, some directing, some controversy and a couple Star Trek details are in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump, read about the following.
- Olivia Wilde talks of possibly returning for a Tron: Legacy sequel.
- Greg Kinnear and Josh Lawson join Anchorman: The Legend Continues.
- Paul W.S. Anderson is definitely directing Resident Evil 6.
- Warner Bros. is suing the J.R.R. Tolkien estate over a breach in contract with The Hobbit.
- Bad Robot’s Action Movie FX App will get a Star Trek Into Darkness upgrade.
- New Zealand is the latest country to get Star Trek Into Darkness a week early.
- Peter Serafinowicz joins The Muppets…Again and Tina Fey discusses her character.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 by Angie Han
Bruce Boxleitner said last month that he wasn’t sure if he’d be back for Tron 3, but apparently there’s another sequel that’d be more than happy to have him. In a recent interview, director Rich Moore revealed that he had originally wanted a Tron cameo in Wreck-It Ralph. And while that didn’t pan out, he’s still got plans to work the character into a sequel. Hit the jump to keep reading.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
Today’s Sequel Bits is jam-packed with quotes, videos, images, and more. After the jump:
- Die Hard is getting a permanent mural for its 25th birthday
- J.J. Abrams talks Star Trek; what do the comics tell us?
- Who wants a walk-on role in Insidious Chapter 2?
- Jack Reynor comments on his Transformers 4 casting
- Dave Franco would like to come back for 21 Jump Street 2
- Bruce Boxleitner is not sure if he’s coming back for Tron 3
- Katee Sackhoff talks Riddick, Vin Diesel offers a new pic
- See the futuristic cars of Mad Max: Fury Road in action
Read More »
If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a million times. “If the idea is good enough, we’ll do it.” It’s the tried and true response from Hollywood filmmakers when asked about a potential sequel to a popular film and the implications are two fold. First, it implies the first film was made without an idea for a sequel, which is probably why it was good in the first place. Second, it means they have no idea what that sequel could be.
In the case of Tron 3, which is the title we’re using for the sequel to Tron: Legacy, there is an idea. Screenwriter Jesse Wigutow is writing it and star Garret Hedlund is expecting to come back. If that happens, he’ll return under the eye of Legacy director Joseph Kosinski. Kosinski, the director of the upcoming Tom Cruise film Oblivion, recently spoke about the idea for Tron 3 and said “it would have to be our Empire Strikes Back for me to come back and for me to pull the whole team back together. I think we do have that idea.” What could that idea be? He didn’t say, but he hinted at a few things and we can speculate together after the jump. Read More »
Anyone who has seen Tron: Legacy saw this one coming from a mile away, but Garrett Hedlund has confirmed that he will be back for Tron 3. Details are scarce but the film is currently undergoing a rewrite over at Disney by screenwriter Jesse Wigutow. The news certainly confirms that the story will continue where we left off in Tron: Legacy, with the son of Flynn bringing a computer program out into the real world and the implications of that. Read more after the jump. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 by Angie Han
Disney’s high hopes for Tron: Legacy weren’t quite realized when the film opened in 2010. The sci-fi sequel earned just $172 million domestically, which doesn’t sound so impressive when you realize it had a production budget of $170 million. Still, it ultimately managed to draw $400 million worldwide — enough to get the studio moving, albeit not very quickly, on another installment.
Now, two years later, the project finally seems to be picking up some momentum. Jesse Wigutow has just been hired to write the script, taking over for David DiGilio (Eight Below). Joseph Kosinski is still attached to direct. More after the jump.
Read More »