Posted on Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 by Angie Han
With only two completed feature films under its belt, Laika’s quickly proving itself to be one of the smartest, most creative animation studios working today. Coraline and ParaNorman were wonderful stop-motion pictures gentle enough for kids, but sharp enough for adults. Now an early teaser indicates that their third release, The Boxtrolls, is shaping up to be the same way.
Based on a book by Alan Snow, the film follows a community of monsters living under the streets of Cheesebridge. Despite their fearsome reputation among humans, the Boxtrolls are actually quite sweet, and are in fact raising abandoned orphan (voiced by Isaac Hempstead-Wright, a.k.a. Bran from Game of Thrones) as one of their own. Watch the first brief teaser after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 30th, 2013 by Angie Han
Between the final seasons of Dexter and Breaking Bad and the premiere of CBS’ Under the Dome, this summer is shaping up to be an exciting one for TV viewers. After the jump:
- George R.R. Martin teases new characters for Game of Thrones Season 4
- Melissa Leo boards M. Night Shyamalan‘s Wayward Pines
- Tracy Morgan and Jenna Elfman find new jobs
- Amazon makes some decisions about its new series
- Comedy Central renews Inside Amy Schumer
- Neil Patrick Harris will host the Emmys again
- Vince Gilligan chats about the potential Saul Goodman spinoff
- See new pics from CBS’ Stephen King thriller Under the Dome
- Meet Dr. Evelyn Vogel in the new Dexter promo
Read More »
Posted on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
After Anne Hathaway picks up her statue for Best Supporting Actress (Nate Silver said it would happen, so it must be true), she’ll be heading to the sunny beaches of Brazil. Or at least, she’ll be heading to a recording booth where she’ll pretend to be on the sunny beaches of Brazil.
Fox announced today that Hathaway will reprise her role for Rio 2, along with most of her Rio co-stars including Jesse Eisenberg, Jemaine Clement, will.i.am, Tracy Morgan, and George Lopez. They’ll joined by several new cast members as well, including Andy Garcia, Kristin Chenoweth, Bruno Mars, and Janelle Monáe. Learn more about the casting and plot details after the jump.
Read More »
When the comedy Why Stop Now? premiered at Sundance back in January it was called Predisposed. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg as a responsible young piano prodigy who holds the family reins because his mother (Melissa Leo) is a drug addict. Her need for drugs leads Eisenberg’s character to the home of her dealer (Tracy Morgan) and into an adventure that has elements reminiscent of Eisenberg’s film 30 Minutes or Less and the recent comedy The Sitter.
So does the film work? There’s a lot of Tracy Morgan doing what Tracy Morgan often does, but Leo and Eisenberg both look strong. Check out the new trailer after the break. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Friday, April 13th, 2012 by Angie Han
Donald Glover may have lost the campaign to play Spider-Man, but he’ll be set to portray another great American hero: Tracy Jordan. Also after the jump:
- The Flintstones reboot gets put on hold
- NBC considers an Office sorta-reboot
- Showtime sets up a Californication spinoff
Read More »
One Oscar winner, an Oscar nominee and the actor who made the EGOT famous simultaneously elevate the quirky family drama Predisposed. Melissa Leo plays a drug addicted mother whose son, played by Jesse Eisenberg, is forced on a madcap adventure on the most important day of his life. On his way to drop mom off at rehab, he’s taken hostage by a a crazy drug dealer (Tracy Morgan), takes oxycontin, is forced to parent his little sister and even takes part in a Revolutionary War reenactment.
Co-directed by first time feature director Phil Dorling and Oscar-nominated screenwriter Ron Nyswaner from their short of the same name, Predisposed is extremely ambitious and, at times, succeeds in fulfilling those promises thanks in large part to fantastic performances by the three leads. Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 19th, 2011 by Angie Han
We’ve already had the chance to ooh and ahh over most of the Sundance Film Festival 2012 slate earlier this month, but with weeks to go until the festival four latecomers have just been announced. There are a few last-minute additions every year; last year’s included Miranda July’s The Future, while 2010’s included Lisa Cholodenko’s The Kids Are All Right.
This year, we have the intriguingly titled sci-fi John Dies at the End; This Must Be the Place, starring Sean Penn as an aging rock star; Jesse Eisenberg and Melissa Leo‘s new comedy Predisposed; and the Norwegian drama Oslo, August 31st. Read the descriptions after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 by Angie Han
As we head toward the holiday season, Boardwalk Empire winds down, 30 Rock gears up, and Terra Nova remains in purgatory. After the jump:
- Showrunner Terence Winter explains the explosive Season 2 finale for HBO’s Boardwalk Empire
- NBC drops an enticing teaser for 30 Rock‘s 6th season
- HBO reveals a second trailer for its Judd Apatow / Lena Dunham series Girls
- FX renews The League for a fourth season
- Fox pushes its decision about Terra Nova‘s fate to next year
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Find it hard to keep up with what films are casting and which actors and actress are doing what? You’re not the only one. It’s all but impossible to keep up with everything, which is why we bring you Casting Bits. Today we’ve got a bunch of big names in smaller movies, a few studio productions sprinkled in and then a couple we missed in recent days. After the jump read about:
- Miley Cyrus cast as Adam Sandler’s daughter in Hotel Transylvania
- Rufus Sewell is confirmed to join Paradise Lost, as Lucifer’s buddy Samael
- Clive Owen is an NSA agent in Recall, written by Paul Schrader
- Elizabethtown co-stars Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom team up again in Cities
- Genesis Rodriguez is an FBI agent in The Last Stand
- Comedians Tracy Morgan and Eddie Griffin are reportedly battling to play the Ol’ Dirty Bastard in a coming biopic
- Alona Tal and Natalie Martinez will star alongside Mark Wahlberg in Albert Hughes’ Broken City
Read More »
She won an Oscar, he was nominated for an Oscar and he’s got an EGOT. They’re Melissa Leo, Jesse Eisenberg and Tracy Morgan and they’re all rumored to be joining Predisposed, a feature length version of a short film that starred Leo in which the relationship between a drug-addicted mother (Leo) and her college-bound son (Eisenberg) is explored. The short was co-written and directed by Philip Dorling but this feature will be directed by the other co-writer, Oscar-winner Ron Nyswaner (Philadelphia). Morgan is rumored to star as a drug dealer named Sprinkles. Read more after the jump. Read More »