Posted on Monday, October 26th, 2015 by Angie Han
The English-language The Raid remake may have run into the kind of trouble that no amount of gunplay or fisticuffs can solve. According to a new report, the project has just lost director Patrick Hughes, studio Screen Gems, and star Taylor Kitsch. Frank Grillo, as far as we know, remains on board. Read about The Raid remake below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
On Sunday, August 9, Grillo was giving interviews for the Television Critics Association on behalf of his DirecTV original series Kingdom, in which he plays the owner of a MMA gym and trainer to a fighter. During a one on one, I had a chance to ask him if he’s just in Captain America: Civil War to fight, or if he gets to do some drama too.
I also asked if The Raid remake had been delayed to allow him to film the role in Civil War, but it turns out that wasn’t the case. Grillo said the studio never found a lead with whom they were happy, and suggests the film has been stalled as other projects intervene. Read More »
One of the biggest rules in Hollywood is lock up your next project before your current one hits theaters. That worked out well for director Patrick Hughes (left) this week. His latest film, The Expendables 3, grossed only $16.2 million on its opening weekend, which is half what the first film earned on its opening weekend in 2010. Despite the disappointing grosses, Hughes is already prepping a remake of The Raid and has Frank Grillo lined up for one of the leads.
Grillo, however, will have lots of company in the film, according to Hughes’ latest quote. The director said the film has about twelve main roles, revealing one of the ways they plan to account for not having Iko Uwais. Read more about The Raid remake below. Read More »
Even as his name is still connected to True Detective as a possible cast member for season 2, Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, Lone Survivor, John Carter) has been offered the lead role in the US remake of The Raid. Frank Grillo is already in the cast, and a circulated wish list for actors also featured names such as Luke Evans, Anthony Mackie, and Ethan Hawke, none of whom have been cast. Read More »
Posted on Monday, June 16th, 2014 by Angie Han
Late last month, we got a peek at Patrick Hughes‘ casting wish list for The Raid remake. These wish lists don’t always pan out — that’s why they’re called wish lists, not confirmed cast lists — but in Hughes’ case, it seems at least one of his wishes has come true.
In a recent interview, Frank Grillo confirmed that he will star in the Hughes’ remake of The Raid. Now it just remains to be seen whether Luke Evans, Anthony Mackie, and Ethan Hawke will follow suit. Hit the jump to read Grillo’s comments on his own casting.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Patrick Hughes‘ remake of The Raid has been delayed. According to Variety, production was scheduled to start in September but that date has now been pushed to at least the first quarter of 2015. However, the film has not been put in turnaround, it just needs some time to get ready.
Read more about The Raid remake, including a list of actors rumored to be frontrunners for the film, below. Read More »
In the past five years, director Gareth Evans has seen has status grow from relative unknown to one of the best action directors alive. His film, Merantau, introduced the Indonesian martial arts form of Pencak Silat to the wider world, and his two follow-ups, The Raid and The Raid 2: Berandal (out in theaters right now), expanded on Silat’s usage and featured some of the most creatively shot and choreographed action/fight scenes in recent memory.
I had the chance to chat with Evans recently about the making of his Raid 2 teaser trailer. We also spoke about his five favorite action scenes, and in the below video essay, Evans breaks down exactly which films they are from and why/how each has influenced him.
Read More »
The very second people fell in love with Gareth Evans‘ 2011 Indonesian martial arts film, The Raid, two things became inevitable: a sequel and a remake. That’s just the way the business works. While The Raid 2 is now in theaters (and even better than the original), The Raid remake is still a bit of a mystery.
What we do know is Patrick Hughes, the director of this year’s forthcoming Expendables 3, is at the helm and in a new interview he revealed a bunch of new details. Among them is the fact the remake will follow a special DEA task force. Read his quotes below. Read More »
Briefly: Sure, you could say that Dredd already remade The Raid, but those two films were concurrent, really. There is a legit remake of Gareth Evans’ The Raid coming, however, and now we know who’ll probably call the shots. Patrick Hughes, who went from the Austalian thriller Red Hill to the director’s chair of The Expendables 3, is in talks to oversee the Raid remake.
The Wrap reports the talks to make the film, which has Evans producing and a script from Brad Inglesby (Out of the Furnace). No casting is announced for the film that will feature a SWAT team launching an assault on a criminal-controlled apartment block, but Chris and Liam Hemsworth are mentioned as wish list choices, and Shia LaBeouf’s name has come up in conjunction with the film, too. Once the director’s deal is set, we’ll likely start to hear legit casting choices.