The summer of 2012 — a summer that turned out to be rather a mixed bag, as so many hotly-anticipated movie seasons tend to — ends with a bang, or at least an explosion. The Expendables 2 is the Simon West-directed sequel to the Sylvester Stallone film that crammed together a whole bunch of aging action stars in one film.
For the sequel the roster has expanded, with Chuck Norris showing up, Jean-Claude Van Damme as the bad guy (and getting some of the best notes in reviews so far) and expanded roles for Bruce Willis and the post-political Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some of the action looks great, much of the script looks silly, and the guys are all ripped and grimacing, for most of the time, at least.
So how did The Expendables 2 turn out? Germain enjoyed it, with his review highlighting both the silliness and the fact that the film, unlike the first one, does most of what it promises. We’d like to know what you think, too. So sound off after the break, where spoiler comments are encouraged. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
One actor joins a sequel and teases a second, while a different actor dismisses a sequel and approves another. All that and more in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump read about the following:
- Mel Gibson says he wouldn’t do a fifth Lethal Weapon and was at one point interested in doing Mad Max 4.
- Speaking of Mad Max: Fury Road, an official plot synopsis has been revealed.
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse has some choice adjectives for Kick-Ass 2.
- Even more tributes have been cast in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
- Gareth Evans tweeted a concept image from Berandal, the sequel to The Raid Redemption.
- Expendables 2 and Newsroom star Terry Crews is joining Scary Movie 5 and seems confident Expendables 3 will happen.
- The first two deaths of Scary Movie 5 have been confirmed.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, August 10th, 2012 by Angie Han
This special edition of TV Bits looks to the future, with several bits of info about new projects in development. After the jump:
- Kelsey Grammer produces a Freakonomics-inspired drama for NBC
- Warren Ellis‘ crime novel Gun Machine is being adapted for TV by Fox
- Fox is developing a television adaptation of Danny Boyle‘s The Beach
- The CW is prepping its own contemporary take on Sleepy Hollow
- FX picks up The Americans, a Cold War drama starring Keri Russell
- Luther creator Neil Cross and the BBC consider an Alice-centric spinoff
- Terry Crews‘ Camacho could feature in a web-based Idiocracy spinoff
Read More »
Scott Sanders, the man who with Michael Jai White crafted the often hilarious blaxploitation spoof/homage Black Dynamite, is turning to the world of Mexican wrestling with his next film, Aztec Warrior. The movie begins shooting today, with Luis Guzman as a luchador who faces off against his rival El Diablo, played by Eugenio Derbez. Terry Crews, Nadine Velazquez, and Lupe Ontiveros are in the film, too.
And, evidently, there are some familiar-looking robots in the movie as well. A piece of concept art surfaced recently showing the Aztec Warrior squaring off against a machine that looks a lot like the ED-209 from RoboCop. Read More »
Something about this pre-holiday week has set sequel news on fire, and there are news bites about sequels of just about every possible variation. In this edition of sequel bits:
- Oops, CBS reported a Big Lebowski sequel that does not, and will not exist
- The Expendables 2 gets a tie-in video game
- Think Like a Man gets a follow-up movie
- The Bourne Legacy producer hopes the next installment might bring together Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner
- Todd Phillips says the third Hangover is really the last
- Peter Berg doesn’t rule out the possibility of Hancock 2 just yet.
Read More »
We’ve seen two teaser trailers for Simon West’s sequel to The Expendables — well, one teaser, and one trailer for this trailer. But now we’ve got an actual trailer, with actual footage showing some of what happens when you put Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Liam Hemsworth, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the same movie.
I don’t think there’s anything else I can say here; see the trailer below. (Header image is, sadly, not from the trailer. Consider it a bonus.) Read More »
Now Lionsgate is getting into the ‘trailer for a trailer’ business with The Expendables 2, and below you can see a quick video featuring co-star Terry Crews and a little bit of explosive action. The spot immediately calls to mind some of the Old Spice spots the actor has done, and his amped-up pitchman act is just right for this movie. Sadly, we don’t get much more than that. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Here’s a pretty rote teaser trailer for Affliction: The Motion Picture… er, The Expendables 2, which puts Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham back at the forefront of an action extravaganza that also stars Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Liam Hemsworth, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Check it out below if you want to see all those faces for a second or two each. Read More »