A fascinating answer to one of Star Wars Rebels‘ biggest questions headlines this latest edition of Star Wars Bits. In addition, below you can read about the following:
- Billy Dee Williams might appear in Star Wars Episode VIII.
- Iko Uwais has a “significant” role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- The rumor of a character name in The Force Awakens once again pops up.
- Rumored titles of books tied to The Force Awakens have been revealed as well as the release plans.
- Read a new excerpt to Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi.
- Watch a clip from the Star Wars Rebels finale.
- Dave Filoni breaks down season one of Star Wars Rebels and answers the big question, do Kanan and Ezra have to die?
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
On paper, Chris Weitz might seem like an unlikely choice to write a Star Wars movie. As a director, he’s best at realistic fare like About A Boy and A Better Life. He’s done bigger fantasy too, like The Golden Compass and The Twilight Saga: New Moon, but those are based on books. Even his latest film, Cinderella, is based on a very well known story and uses magic as sparsely as possible. Star Wars is a whole other beast, especially since he’s writing a standalone movie that could literally be about anything.
We were given the chance to speak to Weitz on the occasion of the release of Cinderella and, of course, had to bring up a galaxy far, far away. To recap, he was brought on to rewrite the first standalone movie, which comes out in December 2016 and will be directed by Gareth Edwards. Weitz, speaking to the press for the first time since the announcement, told us about his excitement going after the project, the security behind the process, how he’s using the film’s first screenplay by Gary Whitta, if he’s read the online rumors about the project and, finally, what fans should expect from the movie. Below, read our Chris Weitz Star Wars quotes. Read More »
This edition of Star Wars Bits jumps all over the timeline. Below, read about the following:
- Own the first ever autographed cast photo for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Oscar Isaac says he’s “in the dark” about Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Dave Filoni offers a fascinating look at the development of Star Wars Rebels
- See some images from a new Star Wars poster book.
- Read an excerpt from Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi.
- What locations does the Millennium Falcon show up at in The Force Awakens?
- A fascinating, new rumor has surfaced about Luke Skywalker‘s role in The Force Awakens.
Read More »
Darth Vader’s appearance may be the headline when it comes to Monday’s Star Wars Rebels season one finale, but there’s lots more going on. A daring rescue, menacing Star Destroyers, three way lightsaber battles, and pimped-out Tie Fighters — things are about to get big. A trailer for the episode, which is called Fire Across the Galaxy, has just come online and it’s really fantastic. Good enough that we decided to highlight it on its own instead of in Star Wars Bits.
Below, watch the awesome season one Star Wars Rebels finale trailer. Read More »
The current conversations about Star Wars: The Force Awakens are primarily concerned with two things: spoilers and trailers. Director J.J. Abrams recently admitted some of the spoilers on the Internet are true, just as some really big ones have come online. Meanwhile, everyone else has been patiently waiting for and debating when we’d see our next glimpse of footage. The safe money is on Thursday April 16, when Abrams and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy kick off Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, CA.
In a new interview, Abrams commented on this and offered up very little information. He did say that the conversation about how and when to release information to the fans happens every day. Read the J.J. Abrams Star Wars 7 trailer news below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Monday night, the penultimate episode of the first season of Star Wars Rebels aired. That means next week, the first season ends and with it brings comes most iconic character in the saga. Darth Vader will make his first official appearance on the show during the season one finale. The episode is called Fire Across the Galaxy and it’ll air on Disney XD at 9:00 p.m.
Below, find out more about the Darth Vader Star Wars Rebels appearance and see a clip. Read More »
One, maybe two, Star Wars actresses walking the Oscar red carpet highlight this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- Felicity Jones and Lupita Nyong’o talk Star Wars from the red carpet of the Oscars.
- Mark Hamill and Peter Mayhew lead the latest group of Star Wars Celebration attendees.
- See a trailer for Wookie the Chew, a Winnie the Pooh/Star Wars mash-up.
- Check out a massive custom Lego of the Sarlaac Pit.
- There could be new Star Wars: The Clone Wars content coming.
- Some new, potentially massive spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens are online.
Read More »
Screenwriter Gary Whitta (Book of Eli, After Earth) is about to release his first novel, Abomination. To promote the pre-order of the historical fantasy novel, Whitta sat down with us for an extensive interview spanning his career thus far. Over the course of this week we will be posting all of the parts of this interview broken up into digestible thematic bites — we’re calling it “/Film’s Week Of Whitta”.
In the first installment we wanted to cut to the chase and present the meatiest Gary Whitta Star Wars comments. As you know, Whitta wrote for a year on the first Star Wars spin-off film being directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla), which will hit theaters on December 16th 2016. We talked to Whitta about growing up with movies, which includes the original Star Wars trilogy. We also discuss the controversy over comments he’s made about the Star Wars prequels and special editions. (I’m not sure how the comments are controversial, considering most everyone I know shares a similar viewpoint.) And, of course, we talk to Gary about working on the upcoming Star Wars spin-off film, and while his Lucasfilm NDA prevents him from revealing any details, its worth reading. Read the Gary Whitta Star Wars interview after the jump.
Read More »
Fans know infinitely more about Star Wars: The Force Awakens than they do the standalone films. For sure, we know Gareth Edwards is directing one that’ll be released in December 2016. Gary Whitta wrote the first draft, Chris Weitz is writing the latest and we think Oscar-nominee Felicity Jones will star. We also think it’ll be about a group of bounty hunters or pirates hired to steal the plans for the Death Star. Emphasis on “think.”
That’s the 2016 film. 2017 will see Rian Johnson’s Star Wars Episode VIII and then 2018 will see the next standalone. We think Josh Trank will direct that film, but rumblings are even that might not be true anymore. As for the subject of the film, it’s mostly speculation.
Which is all preamble to the latest rumor, coming from The Sun newspaper in the UK. They say that second standalone movie will feature a young Han Solo (a rumor we’ve heard for years at this point) and that Taron Egerton, currently starring in Kingsman: The Secret Service, is being eyed for the role. Read more about the Taron Egerton Han Solo rumor below. Read More »