As you probably know by now, Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes us to new corners of a galaxy far far away. Most of the trailers and marketing focus on the first thirty minutes of the film (they haven’t spoiled much) which is set on Rey’s (Daisy Ridley) home desert planet of Jakku.
We know very little about this new planet, but the video game Star Wars Battlefront recently released a new downloadable level set during the Battle of Jakku, which took placer shortly after the events of the Battle of Endor in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, many years before the setting of the new film (explaining why there are wreckages of Star Destroyers laying in the sand dunes). Mike Fahley recorded a ten minute long virtual tour of Jakku, taking you through the world presented in the prequel video game DLC.
You can watch this video with no fear of movie spoilers as the Battle of Jakku seems to have little connection to Episode 7 aside from the giant relics laying in the sand at the start of the movie. I’m not a video gamer, so it was fun to watch someone explore this new planet in-game. Watch the Jakku video tour now embedded after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 by Jacob Hall
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away… there was Star Wars Bits, your round-up of all the Star Wars news you need to know. In this edition:
- J.J. Abrams explains why he turned down Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- J.J. Abrams then explains why he finally accepted the gig.
- James Gunn says he has no interest in making a Star Wars movie.
- A new BB-8 featurette offers up some new footage.
- Star Wars Battlefront takes you to the Battle of Jakku.
- Harrison Ford “reviews” The Force Awakens.
- Carrie Fisher has a bone to pick to how the Star Wars series has treated her body.
Read More »
With Star Wars Battlefront on the shelves as another way of fueling the hype train on track to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, fans have been doing their fair share of blasting both Rebels and Imperials in the video game world. But one fan wanted to do some blasting with the weight of LEGO in his hands.
Flickr user and Star Wars fan Nick Jensen has recreated a life-size version of the E-11 blaster rifle, which fans will know as the blaster carried by Stormtroopers in the original Star Wars trilogy. They occasionally use the gun to hit their targets, but mostly it’s just to make a lot of noise and flashing red lights. But this looks like quite the deadly piece of LEGO weaponry. Read More »
Chewie, get us Star Wars Bits! This edition of news from a galaxy far, far away includes:
- Japan has a Star Wars train to go with their Star Wars plane
- The Star Wars monorail is also up and running at Disney World
- Apple bought the motion-capture company that worked on The Force Awakens
- Watch the trailer for The Force Awakens playset for Disney Infinity 3.0
- French arthouse theaters want more copies of The Force Awakens
- A new look at the Anakin & Obi Wan comic coming in January 2016.
- A glimpse of a possible new wookiee in Rogue One or Episode VIII?
- Details on Battle of Jakku DLC for Star Wars Battlefront
- What is the first word spoken in The Force Awakens?
- Read a memo sent to executives about Star Wars in 1976
- See a new image of Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron in The Force Awakens
- A video runs through every Jedi in Star Wars canon
- A Chrome extension can block Star Wars spoilers for you
- Fox News reporter received death threats after making a Star Wars joke
- Omaze launches a new charity contest to win trip to The Force Awakens premiere
Read More »
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits, we take a look at the following tidbits:
- Mark Hamill possibly hints that The Force Awakens could have a huge Empire Strikes Back twist.
- Adam Driver doesn’t think Kylo Ren is evil, says he feels he’s “morally justified.”
- C-3PO’s Force Awakens prequel comic has been pushed back from December 2015 to February 2016.
- Mark Hamill talks about how The Force Awakens will be different from A New Hope.
- Star Wars Celebration Europe is SOLD OUT.
- Video of the Millennium Falcon experience on the Disney Dream cruise ship.
- First Order Stormtroopers are now patrolling Disneyland.
- Star Wars Battlefront sequels in development?
All that and more, in today’s Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump to hyperspace to find out more.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
We regularly do “Early Buzz” reports for movies, and sometimes the occasional television series, but in the ten plus years of the site history, we’re never done one for a video game… until now. Yes, Star Wars warrants a break out of our usual boundaries because everyone is so excited for Star Wars Battlefront, which was released for Playstation and Xbox this week. So lets take a look at the early Star Wars Battlefront reviews and see what the video game critics think of the first big Star Wars video game of the Disney era.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, November 9th, 2015 by Jacob Hall
The last Star Wars: Battlefront trailer was a masterpiece of emotional manipulation. It was the lion lurking in the tall grass, watching your helpless nostalgia sneak away from the pack for a drink at the watering hole. It saw the weak spots in your armor, it knew how to break through emotional malaise, it was well aware that your defenses were already down because Star Wars: The Force Awakens actually looks like it could be the movie you’ve been waiting for. And then it struck. Even if you were prepared to see through its emotionally manipulative tactics, it forced a lump into your throat and a tear into your eye. You must play this video game. It’s effective advertising.
The new trailer tries something, uh, a little different. Whereas the first trailer was all about the joys of Star Wars (the joys of childhood!) rescuing you from your adult responsibilities, this one seems to have a slightly darker tone. To be fair, that dark tone is probably unintentional, but it represents the exact wrong Star Wars iconography to borrow and the effect is really, really weird.
But hey, it also features Anna Kendrick. Watch the new Star Wars Battlefront trailer for yourself after the jump.
Read More »
Aside from the ability to live out some of the most iconic battles from the Star Wars saga, the forthcoming video game Star Wars Battlefront brings with it a taste of a fight that fans haven’t experienced before and know very little about: The Battle of Jakku.
We’ve known for months that this fight on a new planet would be a key playable part of the new video game as downloadable content from Electronic Arts. But we’re just now getting a real taste of what the battle will entail in a new Star Wars Battlefront trailer focusing specifically on the Battle of Jakku. Read More »
In just a few weeks, Electronic Arts will join the Star Wars hype train with the release of their first-person shooter video game Star Wars Battlefront. We’ve seen footage from the game previously, with new tidbits on gameplay surfacing over the past few months, but now the official launch trailer has arrived and it packs quite a punch.
The new Star Wars Battlefront trailer mixes gameplay footage with cinematics, showing off the huge battles that will take place between Rebel forces and the Empire on some very familiar planets and one previously unexplored territory. Watch! Read More »