The departure of Roberto Orci from the bridge of Star Trek 3 was both a blessing and a curse. It was a curse because the movie had its phasers locked on a 2016 release date, but a blessing in that a new director might drum up some excitement after the lackluster second installment. Instantly the discussion began about who should direct the film.
Articles and tweets packed with bad Star Trek puns filled the Internet and one thing became clear, at least for fans of the series. They wanted Jonathan Frakes, aka Commander William T. Riker himself, to direct the film. Besides starring in Star Trek The Next Generation and multiple Trek movies, Frakes actually directed several episodes of the show as well as Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection, two mostly-well-received entries into the Trek canon. He seems like a good man for the job.
As it turns out, he agrees and he’s aggressively going after the gig. Read more of the Jonathan Frakes Star Trek 3 news below. Read More »
News first broke last week that Roberto Orci is no longer directing Star Trek 3. Orci is now talking about his departure from the project. Find out what he says, after the jump.
Read More »
As some people doubt what writer turned producer turned director Roberto Orci will be able to do with Star Trek 3, the film’s co-star John Cho is coming out in defense of his new director. Cho says Orci’s work is “going to blow people away.” In addition to the Star Trek 3 talk, we have info on the following items:
- Toy collectors will be able to purchase Jurassic World Lego sets,
- Jason Schwartzman explains how he ended up rumored for Jurassic World,
- Hugh Grant bows out of Bridget Jones 3,
- Katie Holmes returns to the role of Jackie O in new Kennedys mini-series, and will direct an episode,
- Keanu Reeves has one more thing to say about Bill and Ted 3,
- Tommy Wirkola suggests Hansel & Gretel 2 could have a plot involving voodoo,
- And Jackie Earle Haley joins the cast of London Has Fallen.
Read More »
In today’s edition of Sequel Bits:
- Stephen ‘tWitch’ Boss has joined the cast of Magic Mike XXL.
- Bruce Greenwood talks possible Star Trek 3 return.
- Brad Bird talks about how The Incredibles 2 is progressing.
- John Cho says Bob Orci is “going to blow people away” with Star Trek 3
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 by Angie Han
Today’s Sequel Bits involves a bit of casting, a bit of un-casting, lots of movie star quotes and, best of all, Jeff Goldblum. After the jump:
- Bill & Ted 3 is “closer, but no closer,” says Keanu Reeves
- Jason Schwartzman offers a Bored to Death update
- Super Troopers 2 will definitely involve mustaches
- Jeremy Renner continues to talk about Bourne
- Karl Urban claims Star Trek 3 is “phenomenal”
- There’s a place for Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day 2
- Chinese actress Zhang Jingchu boards Mission: Impossible 5
- Ted 2 fires 7th Heaven actor Stephen Collins amid scandal
- Ed Helms‘ Vacation sequel gets a fall 2015 release date
- Bond 24 adds Rome to its list of awesome locations
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 by Angie Han
After some initial denials, William Shatner confirmed last week he’d been contacted about Star Trek 3. So now the question is what exactly he’ll be doing in the movie, and a new report claims to have some of the juicy details.
Meanwhile, Leonard Nimoy, who’s rumored to appear alongside Shatner in the next film, has finally issued a response. Or maybe we should cal it a non-response, since it neither confirms nor denies anything.
Hit the jump to for William Shatner Star Trek 3 cameo details. Read More »
The Oscar win Claudio Miranda enjoyed for Life of Pi started some conversations, as that film was shot with a heavy blend of real and CG environments. But Miranda’s skill in leading a crew that works with such a combination of elements should serve him very well for his next gig. Miranda (above, center) has been hired to shoot Roberto Orci‘s Star Trek 3, which will also mark the current series’ transition from film to digital. Read More »
The filming locations of two big sequels lead this edition of Sequel Bits. Read about those, and the following stories, below:
- Pirates of the Caribbean 5 will shoot in Australia in February.
- Star Trek 3 will primarily be shooting in Vancouver, BC.
- Dredd actress Olivia Thirlby tells fans she wants to make Dredd 2.
- Justified actor Jacob Lofland latest to join The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.
- Check out a new photo of Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious 7.
- John Cho isn’t sure the whole cast would come back for Star Trek 4.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, September 29th, 2014 by Angie Han
Just days after word spread last week that Roberto Orci wanted William Shatner for Star Trek 3, the actor took to Twitter to deny, deny, deny. But now, just days after that, Shatner has changed his tune completely.
During an appearance at Wizard World Nashville Comic Con this weekend, Shatner admitted that he’d gotten the call from J.J. Abrams about Star Trek 3 — and also that he’d promised Abrams he wouldn’t tell anyone, not even his wife. Well, so much for that mystery box.
Hit the jump to read the latest on the William Shatner Star Trek 3 offer, plus Orci’s Shatner-inspired response to the haters. Read More »
Posted on Friday, September 26th, 2014 by Angie Han
We present to you some sequel-related odds and ends to take you into the weekend. After the jump:
- Liam Neeson and John Slattery will also be in Ted 2
- Check out the first Dumb and Dumber To TV spot
- Watch the new extended Alien: Isolation TV spot
- Lindsay Lohan has an idea for a Mean Girls sequel
- George Takei is not “lobbying” for a Star Trek 3 role
- Ryan Hansen talks about his Veronica Mars spinoff
- Peter Cullen wants Michael Bay for Transformers 5
- Denzel Washington isn’t confirmed for Equalizer 2
- Jeremy Renner is excited for M:I5 and more Bourne
Read More »