Posted on Thursday, December 5th, 2013 by Angie Han
Everyone’s feeling a little chatty in this quote-heavy edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Evan Daugherty talks G.I. Joe 3 and Snow White and the Huntsman 2
- Julianne Moore‘s The Hunger Games: Mockingjay role has been beefed up
- The Mortal Instruments author teases some City of Ashes spoilers
- Simon Pegg says Star Trek 3 is looking to shoot in the UK, possibly
- Bad Santa 2 will shoot next year, according to Billy Bob Thornton
- Is Steve Aoki working on the Transformers: Age of Extinction soundtrack?
- 2016: Obama’s America filmmaker revisits his predictions in an update
- Keanu Reeves says Bill & Ted 3‘s heavy CG costs are holding it back
- George Miller confirms Mel Gibson won’t appear in Mad Max: Fury Road
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Briefly: Rumblings started a few months ago but now Deadline has made it official. Joe Cornish, director of Attack the Block and co-writer of Ant-Man, is now at the top of Paramount’s list to direct Star Trek 3. J.J. Abrams is producing, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are writing and they’re hopeful for a Summer 2014 shoot aimed at a potential Summer 2016 release. Rupert Wyatt and Jon M. Chu had previously be mentioned as possibilities. Nothing is official yet, so we’ll have more as it breaks. [Deadline]
There’s a lot of controversy on the set of Transformers: Age of Extinction as principal photography concludes. But that’s not all in today’s Sequel Bets. After the jump, read about the following:
- Michael Bay sets the record on the “extortion” rumors regarding Transformers: Age of Extinction.
- Check out a brief glimpse of what the new Bumblebee might look like.
- Harrison Ford said he’d love to be in Star Trek 3.
- Miles Teller believes Insurgent, the sequel to Divergent, is aiming at an April start date.
- Vin Diesel tweeted two Behind the Scenes images from Fast and Furious 7.
- Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is indeed still in the works.
- Paramount has asked for a fourth Jackass sequel.
- Soul Surfer herself, Bethany Hamilton, will be in Dolphin Tale 2.
Read More »
The team behind the new Star Trek films has not yet selected a director for the part three. J.J. Abrams, who directed Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, can’t return because of his commitment to Star Wars Episode VII. That leaves the door open for someone new to come in. Names that have been rumored include Jon M. Chu and Rupert Wyatt. In a new interview Abrams, who will stay on the series as a producer, discussed the latest on Star Trek 3 and agrees that Wyatt is a very talented filmmaker. Read More »
Only one day has passed but there’s already another rumored front runner for the Star Trek 3 directing gig: Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt. Read about that, and lots more, in this edition of Sequel Bits:
- A rumored plot has been revealed for a sequel to The Conjuring.
- Karl Urban wants more originality in Star Trek 3.
- Matt Damon is still open to Bourne and Rounders sequels.
- Anchorman: The Legend Continues graces the cover of Entertainment Weekly.
- Plus, we get our first hint of how Ron Burgundy starts the film.
- Despite rumors, Tara Reid could still be in Sharknado 2.
- The Smurfs 2 will feature extra footage in India.
- 22 Jump Street might have a big surprise cameo.
- Andrew Stanton said Finding Dory originally came from a Disney request.
Read More »
We don’t know who’ll be piloting the starship Enterprise now that J.J. Abrams is working on Star Wars, but two major crew members will remain the same. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who wrote the 2009 original and co-wrote the 2013 sequel, will return to pen Star Trek 3, possibly for a 2016 release date. Read More »
With J.J. Abrams in a galaxy far, far away, the final frontier is wide open. After the success of this year’s Star Trek Into Darkness, Paramount is getting ready to prep a third Star Trek film and the hunt for a new director is underway. The studio has yet to make a decision, but Latino Review is reporting the frontrunner is Jon M. Chu, the director of G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
Update: The director’s reps deny that Chu is connected to the film. Via email, they said “No one has contacted Jon or his reps about this project.” Now, Paramount could still be interested in him, but that may be all it is right now. Other rumors paint Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) as the next likely choice.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Rumors and speculation continue to swirl about what’s going on in both “Star” universes. On the Star Trek side, Badass Digest is reporting Bad Robot could go out to Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz for help on the script for Star Trek 3. They’re the team who had a hand in writing Thor, X-Men: First Class and Fringe. If it happens, they’d work closely with the co-writers and producers of the first two films, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.
That, of course, begs the question of who is going to direct? J.J. Abrams is well into pre-production for Star Wars Episode VII, which means he’d be unavailable, but now rumors have begun to rise that he’s considering leaving that project. Read More »