With just four months until the film hits theaters on July 22nd, it appears Star Trek Beyond needs some adjustments before it hits the big screen. The sequel from director Justin Lin will be undergoing some reshoots, and along with that a new cast member is being added to the mix. Find out what’s going on with these Star Trek Beyond reshoots and who is joining the cast after the jump. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
You probably don’t know Skydance Productions yet, but you probably should. The company is making a major play to become the next Legendary Pictures or Marvel Entertainment, and they already are making the next installments of a number of major franchises on both the big and small screens. Their portfoilo of brands include Terminator, Star Trek, Mission Impossible, World War Z, Jack Reacher, Top Gun, GI Joe and much more.
When I was in Berlin Germany this past week to cover the Terminator Genisys premiere, I had the amazing opportunity to sit down with Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison and Chief Creative Officer Dana Goldberg to talk about their company and what they are planning for the future. This extensive roundtable interview was conducted over the course of an hour alongside three of my colleagues. Over the course of the interview we talked about a number of topics, including:
- How Skydance Productions came about
- Why they decided to plan a trilogy of new Terminator films before the release of Terminator Genisys
- How will the planned new Terminator tv series connect with the new films, will it be cable or network show?
- Terminator Genisys: Did they ever consider brining back Edward Furlong as John Connor? How did they recreate young Arnold Schwarzenegger? CG vs. Practicle effects in the new film
- What kind of television series are they developing?
- What will the Three Days of the Condor tv series be about?
- Steve Jobs was Ellison’s personal mentor since childhood, find out how Jobs and Pixar influenced the creation of Skydance.
- Star Trek 3: Is the movie going to be titled Star Trek Beyond? When does shooting start and where are they filming? What is director Justin Lin and screenwriter Simon Pegg bringing to the sequel?
- Will they be producing a new Star Trek tv series? What is preventing a new show from happening?
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation: The film test screened even higher than Ghost Protocol. How do get insurance for Tom Cruise‘s crazy stunts? How did changing the release date impact getting that movie to the screen? Did Star Wars: Rogue One cause any title drama? Was any of the movie filmed in IMAX?
- Top Gun 2: David Ellison’s history flying aerobatics, What is the sequel about? Will Tom Cruise be in the new film? How will modern technology and 3D change the dogfights?
- Rebecca Ferguson will be a breakout star in MI5 and Skydance is already considering her for another one of their films
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: What will the sequel be about?
- How did James Cameron see Terminator Genisys? Was he paid for his endorsement in any way?
- And some brief words on World War Z 2.
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, June 25th, 2015 by Angie Han
The USS Enterprise is ready to embark on its new mission. Star Trek 3 has reportedly begun shooting near Vancouver, Canada, and stars Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto have shared a couple of cute photos from set to mark the occasion.
Even as production gets underway, though, there’s still a lot we don’t know about the new movie — like the title. But we might be getting closer to an answer on that front, as still more evidence has surfaced it’ll be called Star Trek Beyond. Get all the latest Star Trek 3 updates after the jump. Read More »
Production is only a few weeks away from starting on Star Trek Beyond, the third film in the rebooted Star Trek series. This will be the first film in the new series not directed by J.J. Abrams, but it is in very capable hands. Justin Lin is directing this Trek film and, in a new interview, Lin explained his deep Star Trek fandom. He also talked about what he felt the first two films didn’t do, what this film will do, that the story is not based on any previous Star Trek story and subtly hints at the new villains. Read the Justin Lin Star Trek 3 quotes below. Read More »
You’re in luck, this is a jam-packed edition of sequel bits. Below, read about the following.
- Paul Feig confirms that his Ghostbusters will have up to date tech.
- Kevin Smith compares Clerks 3 to Shakespeare’s King Lear.
- Simon Pegg said Star Trek Beyond shoots later this month and the first script was just finished.
- Independence Day 2 adds a star from The Dark Knight.
- Producer Mark Wahlberg said if the fans come out for Entourage, they’ll do one more.
- Jackie Chan tells TMZ Rush Hour 4 is coming.
- See 6 character posters from Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation.
- Harry Potter screenwriter Steve Kloves was available to help J.K. Rowling on Fantastic Beasts.
- Justin Lin talks the story of Star Trek Beyond.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
It’s that time of the week again. We’re certainly looking forward to a nice holiday weekend, and if you were too busy to stay on top of all the news this week, we’ve got a round-up of all the stories you need to catch up on.
Below you’ll find a round-up of trailers for summer movies like Pixels, sequels like The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, and the likely awards contender Steve Jobs. We also have updates on Star Trek 3, a controversial point of view on geek culture from Simon Pegg, more Mad Max: Fury Road goodies and some Tomorrowland exploration as well. So without further adieu, let’s check out the best stories of the week. Read More »
Ask different people to define what Star Trek means to them and you’re likely to get a huge range of answers. Some may say it’s a science-based show. Others may consider it a rousing adventure. Then there are people who might feel it’s a bit goofy, or an amalgamation of all of those things. That final answer is probably the closest thing to the truth because over the course of numerous movies and TV shows, Star Trek has been many different things.
For the upcoming Star Trek 3, titled Star Trek Beyond, co-writer and co-star Simon Pegg recently said the studio felt an early script for the movie was “a little bit too Star Trek-y.” That suggests the studio wants something that’s less “Star Trek-y.” What exactly does that mean? We’ll explore what that means for the Star Trek 3 plot below. Read More »
The crew of the starship Enterprise always hopes to go where no one has gone before. For the third movie, that might be “Beyond.”
The third film in the recently rebooted Star Trek series now has a likely title. After Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek 3 is likely to be called Star Trek Beyond. Read more about the Star Trek 3 title below.
Read More »
I’m in Las Vegas for the yearly CinemaCon convention (formerly ShoWest) which is the largest gathering of movie theatre exhibitors. The convention is filled with talks about how to maximize profits and a show floor filled with the newest and best concessions equipment. More notably, most of the major movie studios hold presentations of their upcoming film line-ups for the next year and beyond, and some even show some of their films early to get some excitement from those booking the screens.
This morning we saw a presentation from Paramount Pictures showcasing some of their big upcoming films including Terminator Genisys, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, Star Trek 3, Zoolander 2 and more. After the presentation I recorded a spoiler free CinemaCon Paramount reaction video reaction with Steve from Collider, which you can watch that now embedded after the jump.
Read More »