Snow White and the Huntsman leaves the most interesting character out of the title: Ravenna, the so-called evil queen who wants Snow White’s heart on a platter. In this telling, the queen is a black widow whose appetite for power is driven by a consuming fury towards all men. Charlize Theron plays Ravenna not with subtlety — nothing in this would-be blockbuster is subtle, from the insistent effects to the poop jokes — but at least a sense that Ravenna nurses a great wound in her soul.
No other character is as captivating. Ravenna is a strange, wild jewel, flawed and brilliant. She’s more than just a cookie-cutter villain, and begs to be the center of the film. If Sleeping Beauty’s Maleficent can get her own movie, why can’t Ravenna?
Huntsman doesn’t seem to know what it has, however. It wants to be a fairy tale revision, an action movie, a franchise opener. Even if the movie truly was hers, the monster can’t always be the center of attention; leave the camera on the shark in Jaws and you’ve merely got a documentary. But the film’s approach to retelling the story of Snow White, and of the Huntsman who saves her and the Prince who loves her, is so fractured that all the queen’s dark power is wasted. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
So much to get to today. After the jump read about:
- Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are all very close to signing for Kick Ass 2.
- Never fear, Christina Applegate will return as Veronica Corningstone in Anchorman: The Legend Continues.
- Piranha 3DD is out in theaters today as well as video on demand, making it the first 3D movie to do that.
- Die Hard 5, A Good Day To Die Hard, just added Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Anne Vyalitsyna to its cast.
- A young actress’ photos from the set of Star Trek 2 reveal a new Starfleet outfit.
- Weak tracking numbers have Universal backtracking on Snow White and the Huntsman 2 talk.
- Andy Samberg is wearing very tight, white short shorts on the set of Grown Ups 2.
- Men in Black 3 gets censored in China and a wardrobe lawsuit.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Angie Han
No, it wasn’t just you — Men in Black 3, entertaining as it was, made no sense at all. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that starting the shoot without a completed sequel did not help. Also after the jump:
- Robert Rodriguez talks up Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- G.I. Joe toys pulled from shelves after Retaliation shifts release date
- Nick Frost talks possible Snow White and the Huntsman sequels
- Don’t worry, Robert Pattinson has not been offered Catching Fire
Read More »
It’s fun to watch how the drive to promote big-ticket films has led to new initiatives in putting movie content online, even well in advance of a film’s opening. Fox’s efforts for Prometheus are at the front of the pack this year, but there are other good things going on. Trailers often aren’t enough any longer; now we see annotated trailers, or director commentaries layered onto the footage.
Universal has done a pretty good job with this annotated, ‘interactive’ trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman, as it takes the most recent theatrical trailer and layers in discussion topics, photo galleries, and other video clips. Check it out below. Read More »
Over the weekend, I visited Orlando Florida to preview Universal Studios Orlando’s two new entertainment options, the new Superstar Parade and nighttime watershow Cinematic Spectacular – 100 Years of Movie Memories. I also found the time to ride the new renovated version of Island of Adventure’s The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride. After the jump you can find my thoughts on all three of these new theme park experiences, along with photos we took at the preview event.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
If the fairy tale-inspired Snow White and the Huntsman has, in turn, inspired you, Universal Pictures wants to see the fruits of your creativity. The studio is calling for artists to submit their work, which can be in any medium. The ten best pieces will then be displayed from May 19 through June 3 in a pop-up gallery on Los Angeles’ Melrose Avenue, alongside art from “a prominent L.A. artist” and Snow White and the Huntsman costumes from Oscar-winning designer Colleen Atwood.
We’ve posted a lot of fan-made movie tributes here at /Film, from minimalist posters to video homages to Lego dioramas, so if you’ve ever looked at any of those and felt the itch to create something of your own, this could be a good opportunity to share it with the world. But with just a week and a half until the May 11 submission deadline, you’d better get to work ASAP if you want to be considered. Hurry up and hit the jump for details.
Read More »
So does this mean that Charlize Theron‘s evil queen doesn’t die at the end of Snow White and the Huntsman? We had some idea that Universal envisions the movie as the beginning of its own Lord of the Rings-style action/fantasy franchise, and the very good response to Huntsman footage so far has pushed the studio to move forward with plans for a sequel.
And so Universal is now in talks with David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Premium Rush) to write a Huntsman sequel. Read More »
Thursday afternoon at CinemaCon, Universal Pictures presented footage, clips and trailers from their upcoming 2012 line-up and beyond. Included in the presentation were clips from Snow White and the Huntsman, Oliver Stone‘s Savages, Seth MacFarlane‘s TED, The Bourne Legacy, Les Miserables, Judd Apatow‘s This Is 40, Carl Erik Rinsch‘s 47 Ronin, Joseph Kosinski‘s Oblivion, and R.I.P.D.. Per usual, I recorded a video blog after the presentation with Alex from FirstShowing and Frosty from Collider. We give our reactions to the footage without spoilers or in depth descriptions. Watch the video blog now embedded after the jump.
Read More »
Today we bring a bunch of new sequel news bits including:
- Waiting to Exhale 2 Could Still Happen Without Whitney Houston
- Universal is developing ideas for a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman … but without Snow White?
- The studio has no plans for The Lorax 2 but definitely more Dr. Seuss adaptations
- Will Udo Kier replace Dieter Laser in The Human Centipede 3?
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »