In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- Warwick Davis talks about being cast in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- A fan finds out what a middle-aged Anakin Skywalker would actually look like.
- Simon Kinberg on the differences between making X-Men and Star Wars movies.
- The loudest Star Wars shoes you will ever see.
- A fascinating look at modern politics through the prequel lens.
- More footage from LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- The probable final gasp of fame for the Chewbacca mom.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 by Angie Han
Ridley Scott‘s adaptation of Andy Weir‘s The Martian was a smashing success by any measure, and 20th Century Fox is hoping to recreate that magic again. The studio has just picked up an untitled pitch from Weir, which Scott will produce along with The Martian‘s Simon Kinberg.
It’s the second The Martian reunion we’ve heard about this month. Last week we got word Scott was re-teaming with The Martian screenwriter Drew Goddard (who’s not involved in the new Weir movie) for Wraiths of the Broken Land. Read More »
Posted on Friday, May 13th, 2016 by Angie Han
Last year’s Fantastic Four was a failure by just about any measure. It’s one of the worst reviewed and one of the lowest-grossing Marvel Comics adaptations of all time, it derailed Josh Trank’s once-promising career, and it further tarnished the reputation of a property that had already been ill-served by 2005’s Fantastic Four. It came as no surprise, then, when 20th Century Fox quietly yanked the planned sequel from its summer 2017 slate. But producer Simon Kinberg says they aren’t giving up just yet.
“We want to make another Fantastic Four movie,” Kinberg said during the recent press tour for X-Men: Apocalypse. And they’re really going to try to get it right this time, he promises: “We’ll try to be truer to the essence of the tone of Fantastic Four,” he said. Read More »
In the real world, just five years have passed since the release of X-Men: First Class. Within the X-Men world, though, those five years have spanned two decades. First Class took place in 1962, Days of Future Past in 1973, and this month’s Apocalypse in 1983. And in keeping with that pattern, the next next X-Men movie will timejump all the way to the 1990s, as confirmed by producer Simon Kinberg. Read More »
A few months ago, it was rumored that The Wolverine 3 would be shooting for an R rating. But not because of the success of Deadpool. No sir. It definitely has nothing to do with that film skyrocketing to the top of the superhero heap, becoming the highest-grossing X-Men movie and trampling the likes of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice at the domestic box office. Yep, this was certainly a decision being made entirely independent of that. Of course. Uh huh.
Anyway, producer Simon Kinberg recently sat down for a new interview and confirmed that the next (and possibly final) adventure of Hugh Jackman‘s adamantium-clawed superhero will be R-rated. He also announced the movie has quietly begun filming and that yes, everyone was correct when they assumed that this movie would be based on the “Old Man Logan” storyline.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Thursday, March 31st, 2016 by Angie Han
UPDATE: Nerdist has gotten in touch with a rep at 20th Century Fox who says the New Mutants casting rumor is not true. Original story follows.
20th Century Fox’s New Mutants may have just picked up some new mutants. According to a new report, Game of Thrones‘ Maisie Williams and The Witch‘s Anya Taylor-Joy have been cast as Wolfsbane and Magik, respectively, in the X-Men spinoff, where they’ll join Alexandra Shipp as Storm and James McAvoy as Professor X. Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) is directing the superhero flick, which follows a group of young mutants who study and train at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. Read More »
Now that you’ve seen the Star Wars Rebels season two finale “Twilight of the Apprentice”, you’re probably wondering what the heck happened. I was at the premiere of the finale and Star Wars Rebels executive producers Dave Filoni and Simon Kinberg were on hand to answer questions after the screening. Hit the jump to find out what they said regarding the epic ending and your other Star Wars Rebels season 2 finale questions.
Obviously, spoilers for the season 2 finale of Star Wars Rebels follow.
Read More »
When Disney bought Lucasfilm and unified Star Wars canon across all storytelling mediums, it created the possibility of characters introduced in the books, televisions shows and video games crossing over into the live-action big screen movies. And Star Wars Rebels producers Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni have both expressed interest in that possibility in previous interviews. But it turns out that one of the characters created for the Star Wars animated series might have already appeared in a live-action Star Wars film. Filoni talked about the possibility at the world premiere of the Star Wars Rebels season two finale (no spoilers for that episode, I promise). Learn the details after the jump.
Read More »
The awakening is coming, can you feel it? We are now 7 days away from the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Here is a look at what we’ll be talking about in today’s Force Awakens Bits:
- A look inside the Star Wars writers room.
- J.J. Abrams and Daisy Ridley on whether you should see the film in 3D, 2D or IMAX.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens has already been shortlisted for an Oscar.
- Harrison Ford says Han Solo’s lines in The Force Awakens trailers aren’t what they seem.
- In India, Force Awakens could be upstaged by Bollywood holdovers.
- Learn about Harrison Ford‘s contributions to the script.
- NASA says BB-8 isn’t well designed.
- Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy explains George Lucas‘ involvement with Force Awakens and the future of Star Wars.
All that and more. Hit the jump to hyperspace!
Read More »