Briefly: The two Night at the Museum movies, from ’06 and ’09, did too well for Fox to let the franchise stop at two. Other studios are playing with their own films based on a similar concept, and so Fox is going to follow Ben Stiller back into the nightlife at (presumably) a new collection of historic artifacts.
Fox has announced that Night at the Museum 3, directed by Shawn Levy, will open on December 25, 2014. Rejoice! (That is, rejoice if you’re an investor, because this thing is practically guaranteed to make money.) No word on the plot or setting, but the threequel in a situation like this is often the one that goes to Europe, so don’t be surprised if Stiller’s character finds himself in the Louvre or some similarly famous location overseas.
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Three directors recently booked brand new films: one underworked, one overworked and another making his debut. After the jump read about
- Joe Dante will be directing the horror-thriller Air Disturbance.
- Shawn Levy takes over This Is Where I Leave You, a family comedy originally set for Adam Shankman
- Writer Max Landis will make his directorial debut with Me Him Her, a “sexual identity comedy.”
Read More »
Posted on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012 by Angie Han
From the moment Disney announced its intentions to create a new Star Wars trilogy, one of the big questions has been which filmmaker might get a crack at the iconic franchise. But the directors themselves are fans, too, and even as we’ve been arguing which of them should get the job, many of them are just going through the same emotions we are — surprise, concern, excitement. Hit the jump read their thoughts.
Read More »
Briefly: Just as Mad Max: Fury Road gears up to start production, Paramount is trying to get in on the post-apocalyptic action. The studio is in talks to buy Brian Duffield‘s script Monster Problems, which Shawn Levy will produce. (Levy produced The Watch and directed Date Night, Real Steel and the Night at the Museum films.)
There aren’t a lot of details on the film so far, but THR calls the script “a post-apocalyptic road movie in the vein of Mad Max and Zombieland with a John Hughes-esque love story at its center.” (So, it really is like Zombieland, then, since that had its own vague stab at a John Hughes sorta romance at the center.)
Levy is about to direct The Internship for Fox, which will re-team the Wedding Crashers duo of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, so it might be a couple months before we hear any further info about this one. Lets hope the title promises more than metaphorical monsters — I want to see some real post-apocalyptic monster action.
Posted on Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
As Paramount’s G.I. Joe: Retaliation heads into next spring and Universal’s Ted moves up into G.I. Joe‘s old date, Fox is making a few edits of their own to the upcoming release calendar. Ang Lee‘s Life of Pi has been shifted away from hyper-competitive late December to Thanksgiving weekend, while the Wedding Crashers quasi-reunion The Internship has landed on a summer 2013 date. Read more details after the jump.
Read More »
Almost one year ago to the day, Brett Ratner took over from Steven Spielberg to helm a property Spielberg championed way back in 2008: The 39 Clues. Ratner had been actively developing the film for the past year, but apparently he’s now out and the incredibly busy Shawn Levy is on board to direct.
Based on the an 11-book series, The 39 Clues follows two children who find out they’re part of the most famous family in history, with a lineage that includes Napoleon and Houdini. The pair then sets out on a global treasure hunt to find 39 clues, ingredients to a potion which will create the most powerful person in the world. Read more after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Friday, February 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
Happy Friday! Today’s Sequel Bits involves three comedies of varying degrees of hilarity, plus a spooky-sounding book. After the jump:
- David Wain can’t guarantee a sequel to Wet Hot American Summer 2, but he’s working on it
- Ed Helms doesn’t really know when The Hangover Part III will get going
- Shawn Levy could “very possibly” be directing Night at the Museum 3
- Stephen King reads the first chapter of Dr. Sleep, a sequel to The Shining
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Lots of sequel news today so let’s get right to it. After the jump, read about the following:
- Shawn Levy gives an update on a sequel to Real Steel.
- There’s already been talk of a third Ghost Rider according to directors Neveldine and Taylor, who are also still considering Crank 3D.
- Latino Review has revealed some major plot points in Taken 2.
- Fox is still moving ahead with a Waiting to Exhale sequel after the death of Whitney Houston.
- Steven Spielberg says Peter Jackson will be starting production on The Adventures of Tintin 2 this year.
Read More »