Richard Linklater gets lots of love for his smaller movies like Dazed and Confused, Before Midnight, Bernie and Waking Life. Rightfully so. But one of his films that is sometimes overlooked is also, by far, the biggest grossing film of his career. That would be 2003′s School of Rock.
Written by Mike White and starring Jack Black, the film follows a slacker who poses as a substitute teacher, then turns his class into a world-class rock band. It’s one of those crowd-pleasing films that don’t really exist anymore; I dare you to turn it off if it’s ever on cable. The film’s 10 year anniversary is coming up in October and, to celebrate, Odd City Entertainment has commissioned artist NE to immortalize the film in screenprint. It’ll be exclusively available at an Austin-based anniversary screening of the film.
Check out the poster, and how to get tickets, below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Just got home from the party for Me and Orson Welles at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival. I had the opportunity to talk with Richard Linklater, who confirmed that a School of Rock sequel is far from a done deal. Linklater admitted that he only had one conversation with the studio about the project. Richard said that he had another project in mind for his next film and was surprised as anyone else to see the sequel announced in the trade papers as a done deal. Linklater said that it “might not happen” after all, expressing apprehension to the whole idea of a sequel. You have to appreciate a director who isn’t just in it for a quick buck or two, and actually cares about the legacy of his films.
Mike White’s screenplay for School of Rock 2: America Rocks follows the further adventures of Dewey Finn, as he leads a group of summer school students on a cross-country field trip that “delves into the history of rock ‘n’ roll and explores the roots of blues, rap, country and other genres.” A /Film reader poll showed that 95% of the 434 votes tallied were not interested in a sequel, while the remaining 5% voted for the option “There Was a School of Rock 1?”. It should be noted that no positive option was made available.
Remember that pointless School of Rock sequel we warned you about a couple weeks ago? Well it’s happening. Paramount Pictures has signed Jack Black to reprise his role as Dewey Finn in School of Rock 2: America Rocks. According to Variety, Mike White’s script follows Finn leading a group of summer school students on a cross-country field trip that “delves into the history of rock ‘n’ roll and explores the roots of blues, rap, country and other genres.” I want to believe that this is something more than just a money grab. I want to believe that White and director Richard Linklater, who is also signed on to return, returned because of the story and not just a bundle of cash.
Discuss: Now that you’ve had the chance to read a short plot synopsis, is there any chance School of Rock 2 might be a worthy sequel?
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Last night, the Slashfilm staff got together via Second Life to brain storm strategy for something really trivial. Screenwriter, comedian and all around decent guy, Mike White, was kind enough to alert the online press that he had completed the script to School of Rock 2. Our dilemma: What could Slashfilm offer Jack Black and Mike White in order for them NOT to make this totally unneeded sequel aka “Jack Black teaches a spiky-haired kid wearing snowboard goggles on his forehead how to ‘play the skins, dude!’ part 2″?
Money was out the window. The original film grossed $80 million domestically. And our staffers did not aspire a sacrifice to Black in the form of bad tattoos. Nobody here hates or despises School of Rock like we do, say, Disaster Movie. Richard Linklater‘s was a family film, a twee bro-down, that didn’t totally suck even, and if you had a bad day at work, maybe you even cried watching it. But that was 2003.
Basically, Slashfilm doesn’t want to write about another SoR or face down its inevitable barrage of “ready-to-rock tweens” happy day marketing. Please world, no more endearing kids learning about Floyd via a chalk board, playing air guitars, throwing up limp \m/s or seeing Jack Black imitate AC/DC. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are enough. Plus, the sequel already exists. It’s called The Rocker and it “rocks out” on August 1st.
Our avatars shrugged and we went our separate ways. We decided to leave the sequel’s fate in the hands of our readers. Do you guys/gals/tween + hard rock loathers want to see/read/hear about School of Rock 2 in the near future/ever? Send the talent/studio involved a quick smoke signal by voting in our poll. Thanks!