Posted on Friday, January 17th, 2014 by Angie Han
There’s a lot of attention on the indie world right now, what with the Sundance Film Festival kicking off, but there’s plenty of news coming from the big studio sequel front, too. After the jump:
- Kenneth Branagh hopes for a sequel to Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
- Rosario Dawson also wishes the Sin City sequel had happened sooner
- Lucasfilm Singapore is working on Transformers and Avengers
- New plot details are revealed for Paranormal Activity 5
- Here’s how you can enter to be an extra in The Purge 2
- Danny Glover and Danny Trejo are badasses in the Bad Asses trailer
- 300: Rise of an Empire gets a stabby new poster and an online game
- Astrid poses with Stormfly in a How to Train Your Dragon 2 poster
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, April 4th, 2013 by Angie Han
In case you were wondering, yes, Kevin Smith is still pretty sure Clerks III will be his best film ever. It’s not clear whether Rosario Dawson totally agrees with that sentiment, but apparently she wants in too. Also after the jump:
- Danny Boyle dishes on the Trainspotting sequel
- Gru is an awkward parent in Despicable Me 2 clip
- Terry Crews goofs around in a Cloudy 2 featurette
- Before Midnight debuts an international poster
- New poster reminds us of Global Smurfs Day
- Get a peek at Keenser in Star Trek Into Darkness
- Listen to a bit of the Star Trek Into Darkness score
- Chris Pine was “scared” to play Captain Kirk
Read More »
Danny Boyle‘s latest film, Trance, is a victim of its own ingenuity. It’s a film about memory and how a person is defined by their memories. These memories can be tampered with, removed, replaced, even changed ever so slightly to make reality seem different than it actually is. To bolster those ideas, Boyle gives the film a lurid feel. At any given time, the audience isn’t sure if what they are seeing is real, fake, a dream, a memory or some blending of both.
Unfortunately, that ambiguity begins to overpower any interest generated for the characters or story, leaving the film with a cold feeling. There are certainly mysteries to be solved, and Boyle’s energetic style provides some fun moments, but if you can’t believe what you’re seeing at any given moment, you can’t begin to care about the characters either. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, March 21st, 2013 by Angie Han
The latest trailer for Danny Boyle‘s Trance can’t beat the earlier red-band one in terms of sex and violence, but it doesn’t need to. It looks plenty dark and twisted and bizarre as is.
The trippy thriller centers on Simon (James McAvoy), a fine art auctioneer who assists in the theft of a stolen painting. When he can’t remember where he stashed the stolen loot, the gang leader (Vincent Cassel) hires a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) to help jog his memory. As she delves deeper and deeper into his mind, reality begins to unravel. Hit the jump to check out the trailer.
Read More »
In just a few weeks we’ll get to see a new Danny Boyle movie, and that’s pretty great. The film is Trance, and as the slice of art above suggests, it leaves the psyche of a man, played by James McAvoy, in less than perfect shape.
This new red-band trailer shows more of Boyle’s heavily-stylized return to all-out genre fare. It also give a taste of some of the more unpleasant moments in the film, and a hint or two of a couple of the more pleasurable moments, too.
And McAvoy’s character isn’t the only one who has his head messed with. There’s a payoff shot in this trailer that had me gobsmacked for a moment, before the gorehound in me took over and started giggling like mad. Check it out below — this one is definitely not safe for work, even if those unsafe flashes are fairly brief. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
This is essentially a big retweet, but it’s a good one, as Fox Searchlight has announced the US release date for Danny Boyle‘s new film Trance. The picture stars James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson and Vincent Cassell in a story about an art thief (McAvoy) who is injured while stealing a painting. He claims that amnesia prevents him from remembering where he stashed the loot, and so a crime boss (Cassell) employs a hypnotherapist (Dawson) to get the info out of the thief’s head.
The studio has announced an April 5 release for the film. More info, and a poster that ably captures what appears to be the very fragmented condition of McAvoy’s mind, follows after the break. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, December 27th, 2012 by Angie Han
It’s been a couple of years since we’ve seen a Danny Boyle movie (his last was 2010’s 127 Hours), but the Brit filmmaker’s been very busy in the meantime. He shot the art-heist thriller Trance in late 2011, took a break to direct the London Olympics opening ceremony in 2012, and is now back at work putting the finishing touches on Trance.
James McAvoy stars as an art auctioneer who helps a gang of thieves (led by Vincent Cassel‘s Franck) steal a Goya masterpiece. After a blow to the head gives him amnesia, Franck hires a therapist (Rosario Dawson) to help jog his memory. The first stills and a new synopsis have just hit the web, and you can check them out after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 by Angie Han
None of these updates are all that major, but there are a lot of them so let’s get right to it. After the jump:
- Channing Tatum won’t direct Magic Mike 2 just yet
- Stephen King‘s The Shining (book) sequel gets dated
- Jude Law is totally up for more Sherlock Holmes
- Karen Allen reiterates Indy 5 is up to George Lucas
- Seth MacFarlane is “thinking about” a sequel to Ted
- Men in Black 3 and the trilogy hit Blu-ray / DVD this fall
- Rosario Dawson says Sin City 2 will shoot in November
- Super Troopers 2 hits legal trouble; Pot Quest still simmering
Read More »
What to learn some really cool behind the scenes secrets from The Avengers? Has Michael Shannon seen footage from Man of Steel and how did it look? Why is Christopher Nolan caught up in a lawsuit? When might you be able to buy The Avengers DVD box set? Which major Marvel character could cameo in Thor: The Dark World and has an Olympic medalist joined The Wolverine? Read about all this and more in today’s Superhero Bits. Read More »