Maybe one day we’ll get the full story of the behind the scenes drama on Star Trek 3. How people reacted when J.J. Abrams left, the potential directors coming in to pitch, Roberto Orci being hired as a first-time filmmaker, his subsequent departure, a second director search, the hiring of Justin Lin and more. It sounds like plot to a political thriller. Now, another twist has been revealed.
Orci, who was thought to still be writing and producing the film, took to a Star Trek message board to reveal, despite working on a script for well over a year, he’s now only producing the film. He also teased his thoughts about what’s going on with the 2016 sequel and defended the first film’s idea of an alternate timeline. Read Orci’s quotes about the Star Trek 3 script below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
UPDATE: BoxOffice revealed that Star Trek 3 will be released July 8, 2016. We’ve updated the below story from Monday with that information.
The search for a Star Trek 3 director is over. Justin Lin, director of multiple Fast and Furious films as well as True Detective season 2, will helm the sci-fi sequel, set for release July 8, 2016. He replaces Roberto Orci, who remains attached as a producer. Read more about the Justin Lin Star Trek 3 news below. Read More »
Posted on Thursday, December 18th, 2014 by Angie Han
Guess who’s switching from beer to vodka? Also after the jump:
- Alvin and the Chipmunks 4 gets a director
- Entourage and Furious 7 get their MPAA ratings
- The Minions take 1960s New York in a cute new clip
- What doesGOTG have to do with Star Trek 3?
- See the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel trailer
- Taken 3 serves up the “12 Skills of Christmas”
- Frank Grillo is in, Carmen Ejogo is out for Purge 3
Read More »
When the director of the first two Star Trek films went to another Star-oriented franchise, the world waited to hear who would direct the third new Star Trek film. Dozens of names were floated for Star Trek 3 and then Roberto Orci, a co-producer and writer on the first two films in the series, stepped into the seat. This was a controversial decision. Orci had never directed a film; fans were worried. Fast-forward a few months and Orci is out. He’s still involved as a producer, but he won’t be directing. The search is on once again on for another director.
As Paramount and Bad Robot frantically try and find someone to hit a planned Summer 2016 release date, we figured we’d help. We came up with 15 names who should, could, and actually might direct Star Trek 3. That means anyone who has an obvious film in the pike is out. Anyone who had passed is out and huge Hail Marys like Spielberg, Nolan or Scorsese are out. What’s left is a half wish-list, half possible list of 15 names. Read our Star Trek 3 director ideas below. Read More »
News first broke last week that Roberto Orci is no longer directing Star Trek 3. Orci is now talking about his departure from the project. Find out what he says, after the jump.
Read More »
As some people doubt what writer turned producer turned director Roberto Orci will be able to do with Star Trek 3, the film’s co-star John Cho is coming out in defense of his new director. Cho says Orci’s work is “going to blow people away.” In addition to the Star Trek 3 talk, we have info on the following items:
- Toy collectors will be able to purchase Jurassic World Lego sets,
- Jason Schwartzman explains how he ended up rumored for Jurassic World,
- Hugh Grant bows out of Bridget Jones 3,
- Katie Holmes returns to the role of Jackie O in new Kennedys mini-series, and will direct an episode,
- Keanu Reeves has one more thing to say about Bill and Ted 3,
- Tommy Wirkola suggests Hansel & Gretel 2 could have a plot involving voodoo,
- And Jackie Earle Haley joins the cast of London Has Fallen.
Read More »
The Oscar win Claudio Miranda enjoyed for Life of Pi started some conversations, as that film was shot with a heavy blend of real and CG environments. But Miranda’s skill in leading a crew that works with such a combination of elements should serve him very well for his next gig. Miranda (above, center) has been hired to shoot Roberto Orci‘s Star Trek 3, which will also mark the current series’ transition from film to digital. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, September 29th, 2014 by Angie Han
Just days after word spread last week that Roberto Orci wanted William Shatner for Star Trek 3, the actor took to Twitter to deny, deny, deny. But now, just days after that, Shatner has changed his tune completely.
During an appearance at Wizard World Nashville Comic Con this weekend, Shatner admitted that he’d gotten the call from J.J. Abrams about Star Trek 3 — and also that he’d promised Abrams he wouldn’t tell anyone, not even his wife. Well, so much for that mystery box.
Hit the jump to read the latest on the William Shatner Star Trek 3 offer, plus Orci’s Shatner-inspired response to the haters. Read More »