By the time the next Planet of the Apes movie comes out, will it have featured as many screenwriters as there are Apes movies? Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will be the immediate sequel to last year’s surprise success Rise of the Planet of the Apes. After Rise director Rupert Wyatt stepped away from the project, citing a hasty production schedule, Cloverfield director Matt Reeves will occupy the director’s chair.
And now Mark Bomback, whose credits are seen on X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Total Recall (2012), and Live Free or Die Hard, will pen the latest draft of the script. He’s the third writer (or writing team) reported to work on the film, after Rise writers Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa penned the original draft and Scott Z. Burns (Contagion) was brought on to do additional work. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
A bevy of major release date announcments and shifts were just revealed. Here goes.
- The Rise of the Planet of the Apes sequel is now called Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and has been dated May 23, 2014.
- A 3D re-release of Independence Day will hit July 3, 2013.
- The untitled sequel to X-Men First Class will hit on July 18, 2014 with Matthew Vaughn directing.
- Steven Spielberg‘s Robopocalypse has been pushed from 2013 to April 25, 2014
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, directed by and starring Ben Stiller, has been dated for Christmas 2013 along with Walking With Dinosaurs.
- Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters hits August 16, 2013
- Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy‘s untitled Paul Feig-directed comedy lands April 5, 2013.
Lots to digest here. We’ve got it after the jump. Read More »
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was one of the biggest surprises of 2011. Directed by relative newcomer Rupert Wyatt and delving back into a franchise that most people felt had long since died, the movie’s high quality helped it break out as a undeniable hit, grossing $176 million domestically. As tends to be the case, plans for a sequel were set into motion almost immediately and over the next few months Wyatt signed to return as director, star Andy Serkis was given a new deal and the original screenwriters, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, began to write the sequel to the prequel.
The Hollywood Reporter now says Scott Z. Burns, the writer behind Contagion, The Informant! and The Bourne Ultimatum, has signed to work on the film. Read more after the jump. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
CinemaCon has come to a close, and I’ve returned from Las Vegas to find a ton of film sequel news bits. After the jump you’ll see a round up of all the latest, including:
- New photos from G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Expendables 2
- Benedict Cumberbatch explains how he auditioned for Star Trek 2 on his iPhone.
- Brendan Gleeson and J.B. Smoove join The Smurfs 2
- Screenwriter Max Landis talks about returning characters, possible directors, and how Chronicle 2 will be about the world’s first ‘supervillain’
- The running time and soundtrack listing for Men in Black 3 has been revealed
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes sequel will begin production by Summer’s end.
- And an update on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sequels.
Read More »