Two titans of Tinseltown could be heading Into The Woods with Oscar-winning director Rob Marshall. Both Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep are in talks to join Disney’s film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim‘s Tony Award winning musical about a baker, his family, and a witch who places a curse on them. From there the characters take a trip through several classic fairy tales like Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Red Riding Hood. Think something on the scale of Les Miserables, but with a story like Once Upon A Time.
Streep is in talks to play the witch and Depp’s role is still a mystery, but it would likely be the baker or the narrator. Filming could start in early 2014, which raises some serious questions about the status of Pirates of the Caribbean 5. We’ll discuss below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
One of the most popular and in-demand actors in Hollywood has just scheduled the rest of his year, with one glaring omission. Johnny Depp will now officially star in Transendence, the mysterious sci-fi directorial debut of Wally Pfister, best known for his work with Christopher Nolan. From there he’ll star in Barry Levinson‘s Black Mass, a true-crime drama. He was previously rumored for both roles.
Transcendence shoots in April, Black Mass will shoot over the summer, and with a healthy dose of press for his new film, The Lone Ranger, peppered in, Depp is going to be a very busy man. One film not mentioned in his upcoming slate is Pirates of the Caribbean 5, a film that’s been given a July 2015 release date by Disney and has been in its script stage for some time. With Depp’s schedule all but booked for the next nine months or so, it seems unlikely that movie could shoot until next year. Read more about all the projects below. Read More »
Disney woke up and decided to make some news today. In addition to officially announcing two Marvel movies for 3D, they’ve dated a bunch of other high profile films,
Read More »
The news you’ve been waiting for is here: Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has taken another step forward! (Contain your excitement, please.) Jeff Nathanson, who wrote Catch Me if You Can, has been hired to write Pirates 5. Two members of the old crew are back, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and star/producer Johnny Depp. There’s no plot to reveal at this point, and some doubt as to which other cast members from previous films will return. There’s also no report about who will direct. Having Nathanson script seems like a good first step, but after the last two films in the series, they’re going to have to show some great footage to generate interest.
Variety has the report, and also mentions that Disney is continuing efforts to develop an Alice in Wonderland sequel.
After the break:
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation producer denies that reshoots added much more Channing Tatum,
- The direct to video Fright Night 2 gets an all-new cast,
- and there are new images from The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, November 15th, 2012 by Angie Han
“Everyone wants to do sequels,” says Chris Tucker. Indeed. After the jump:
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes gets a plot summary, will shoot in March
- Keith Richards may return to the Pirates of the Caribbean series
- Chris Tucker is interested in Rush Hour 4, not so much Friday 4
- Nick Cannon talks up his plans for a Drumline sequel and TV series
- Isla Fisher signs on for the kinda-sorta Jackie Brown sequel Switch
- Transformers 4 explores Bangkok as a potential shooting location
- The Last Exorcism Part II gets picked up by CBS Films; see a new image
Read More »
The image you see above is the first look at Amber Heard as she appears in the Robert Rodriguez film Machete Kills. The movie is, as you likely know, the sequel to 2009′s Machete, which was itself an expansion of the very entertaining “fake” trailer that appeared in the Rodriguez/Tarantino effort Grindhouse.
After the break, we’ve got more info on Machete Kills, as well as:
- Tyler Perry will get another film as Alex Cross,
- Warner Bros. sends a new corporate overseer down to keep tabs on Mad Max: Fury Road,
- Keith Richards is ready for Pirates of the Caribbean 5,
- and, in news that totally fits with everything mentioned above, Cynthia Nixon doesn’t want to do more Sex and the City.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, September 28th, 2012 by Angie Han
Read all about these sequel-related odds and ends after the jump:
- Would Penelope Cruz do Pirates of the Caribbean 5?
- Kathleen Kennedy offers a minor Jurassic Park 4 update
- Catching Fire announces the rest of its supporting cast
- Scary Movie 5 still shows a Mob Wife and a Real Housewife
- Prometheus Blu trailer promises answers and new footage
- Judge rules that Paramount can make more Godfather films
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
A fifth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean was in development long before Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides grossed over $1 billion worldwide. The script was written, and rewritten, but with producer Jerry Bruckheimer off making The Lone Ranger with Gore Verbinski and lots questions pending over who would direct, things had become awfully quiet on the seven seas.
Now, a Caribbean business website is reporting the film, which will star Johnny Depp and likely be directed by Rob Marshall, will begin shooting this November in Puerto Rico. The rest of the series had been primarily shot in Hawaii. Read more after the jump. Read More »