The downside of being one of the actors recently revealed as a Star Wars Episode VII cast member is 20 months of repetition. While we’ll surely learn more about the film and each actor’s part in it leading up to the December 18, 2015 release, until then every one will be asked innumerable questions about the film. A few have already started answering, while others preemptively got the jump on the questions. Below, read the thoughts from new additions Domhnall Gleeson, Andy Serkis, John Boyega and returning actors Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
By Peter Sciretta, Russ Fischer, Angie Han and Germain Lussier
The announcement of the full cast for Star Wars Episode VII sent a ripple of excitement through the movie world. Not only because the official announcement ends of months of speculation, but because this cast is excellent. The lineup Abrams has chosen for Episode VII is one we’d be excited to see in any film, so it’s a good first move for Star Wars.
While we know little about the relative newcomer Daisy Ridley, who plays the female lead, the rest of the new cast is a collection of great talent drawn from a variety of acting backgrounds: John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Max von Sydow, Adam Driver, Andy Serkis and Domhnall Gleeson.
That’s a great group of guys. The pleasure of that roster is diminished only by wondering how there can’t be any room for more than one major new female role. The classic Star Wars status quo (one woman, and a bunch of dudes) is almost a running joke at this point, and we hoped that Abrams might have broken that barrier as he cast the new film. An offset, however, is that Daisy Ridley could have a particularly important role. If she ends up being one of the true leads of the series, that would change things just a bit. And while this cast remains predominantly white, John Boyega held point position in the official announcement, giving rise to the assumption that he’s the lead. Boyega, born in London to Nigerian parents, is not the typical face of Star Wars. If he’s the lead, that’s a significant step in a new direction for the series.
Below, read up on the backgrounds of each of the new additions to the Star Wars universe, along with speculation and what actual data we have about the roles for each cast member.
Read More »
Finally, it’s official. Here’s the release.
The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.
Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.
Director J.J. Abrams says, “We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”
Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
Check out the first cast photo below. Read More »
Some Episode VII speculation, lots of video game news and the ultimate Star Wars champion are all in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- Peter Mayhew comments on potentially coming back for Star Wars Episode VII.
- The creative director of Uncharted is in charge of the a new Star Wars video game.
- Footage from a cancelled Darth Maul video game is now online.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi is the 2014 Star Wars champion.
- One of the latest rumors is Lord of the Rings star Dominic Monaghan could be in Episode VII.
- Check out a new poster for Star Wars Rebels, which may reveal new info next month.
- Watch a blooper reel for Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
- Artist Craig Drake released three amazing new Star Wars posters, available now.
Read More »
The second cast member for Star Wars Episode VII has been revealed, and it’s another returning actor/character pair. R2-D2 was first and now The Hollywood Reporter says Peter Mayhew will reprise his role as the iconic wookiee Chewbacca.
J.J. Abrams‘ film, out December 18, 2015, is now filming. Full details on plot and cast are expected in the coming weeks. Read more Peter Mayhew Star Wars 7 news below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Star Wars Episode VII has received two custom made Panavision cameras nicknamed “Death Star” and “Millennium Falcon.” Below, check those out as well as these additional Star Wars Bits:
- Peter Mayhew drops of out convention appearance during Star Wars Episode VII filming.
- Lost and Lord of the Rings alum Dominic Monaghan spoke to J.J. Abrams about Star Wars.
- Meet Jedi Mickey Mouse during Star Wars Weekends at Walt Disney World.
- Billy Dee Williams dances with Chewbacca on The Tonight Show.
- Has J.J. Abrams officially made the move to London?
Read More »
Posted on Friday, January 10th, 2014 by Angie Han
No, the header image isn’t from an impending Star Wars-Disney crossover — it’s just a fun bit of fan art. You can see the full image, plus the artist’s takes on Darth Vader and Princess Leia, after the jump. Also:
- Clone Wars‘ Darth Maul will get a proper sendoff — in comics.
- Are these the “top 10 Star Wars moments of 2013″?
- Watch a short film by a pre-Star Wars George Lucas.
- Peter Mayhew has a bunch of awesome old set photos.
- See baddies in action in a new Star Wars Rebels still.
Read More »
UPDATE: Peter Mayhew himself has released a statement about this story. Read it below.
Considering Star Wars Episode VII takes place a few decades after Return of the Jedi, it’s pretty safe to assume many of the original characters will return. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia all seem to be locked in. But is Han Solo ever really without his sidekick, the mighty Chewbacca? The original actor who played the character, Peter Mayhew, recently had some major health problems so his return seems unlikely. However, a new casting call has been found in the United Kingdom looking for an actor with a build similar to Mayhew’s. Does that mean Wookiees will return? Or is it (shudder to think) the Gungans? Read More »
Enough of this Batman crap, let’s get back to what’s really important in 2015: Star Wars! Here’s the latest from a galaxy far far away.
- Check out three covers and more from The Star Wars comic books.
- Read about how Samuel L. Jackson tried to ask J.J. Abrams about possibly being in Star Wars Episode VII.
- EA wants to reinvent Star Wars video games to make “people’s jaws drop.”
- A minor update on the rumored December 2015 release date.
- Carrie Fisher now refuses to comment about Episode VII.
- There’s a Kickstarter to make a documentary about Chewbacca himself, Peter Mayhew.
- Star Wars: Force Collection, a card-based mobile game, will be out September 4.
- Listen to the voice of Darth Maul, Peter Serafinowicz, talk about his hilarious experiences making Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
Read More »