Posted on Monday, April 29th, 2013 by Angie Han
Today’s Sequel Bits veers from deeply romantic to adorably funny to bone-chillingly creepy. After the jump:
- Star Trek and Kick-Ass 2 get rated by the MPAA
- Todd Phillips is pretty sure Hangover II is brilliant
- The producers of Paranormal 4 are getting sued
- Chris Pine chats about Kirk’s self doubt in Star Trek
- See more Celine and Jesse pics from Before Midnight
- See posters for Monsters University and V/H/S/2
Read More »
Posted on Monday, January 21st, 2013 by Angie Han
The start of Sundance means there’s heavy focus on indie films, but meanwhile the big-budget blockbuster sequel types are making news as well. After the jump:
- See a whole bunch of stills from A Good Day to Die Hard
- Watch a “Recovered File” from the Paranormal Activity 4 DVD
- Now Mark Wahlberg says Transformers 4 will be a reboot
- Here’s what Klingons will look like in Star Trek Into Darkness
Read More »
Film fans looking for a little Halloween horror at the multiplex this year are probably finding pickings pretty slim. Frankenweenie is great, but too kiddie. Sinister is scary, with no real hook. Silent Hill Revelations 3D is a sequel to a movie very few care about…and then there’s Paranormal Activity 4. Fans of the franchise know exactly what they’re in for with this installment and while it does pack some scares and interesting mythological additions, they’re few and far between. That’s probably because we’ve already been (and will continue to be) hammered over the head with this once innovative franchise.
The team at ScreenJunkies took the time to make one of their honest trailers for the franchise and pretty much hit the nail on the head, as usual. And even if you disagree, it’s still mighty funny. Read More »
Fans who stayed through the credits of this weekend’s hit film Paranormal Activity 4 were treated to a curious Spanish speaking coda teasing a brand new sequel. However that sequel will not be Paranormal Activity 5. That’s now officially coming in October 2013, but Latino themed film teased will actually an additional spinoff scheduled for release in Spring 2013. As previously reported, it’s being written and directed by Christopher Landon (Disturbia) and will draw from Catholic paranormal mythology. It’s set in the same world, will be in English about the same ghost, but will not continue the story of Katie, Hunter and the stars of the first four films. Read more after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Friday, October 19th, 2012 by Angie Han
All of the disappointments of Paranormal Activity 4 boil down to one thing: This is a franchise that’s forgotten what made it so special in the first place. The original Paranormal Activity was terrifying not because it had expensive special effects or excessive amounts of gore, but because director Oren Peli expertly stretched the tension to the point where the softest creak of a door hinge could make us jump. 2 and 3 dialed the scares up a notch and expanded on the mythology, but that delicious suspense at the core remained the same.
In contrast, I don’t think I’ve ever been as relaxed during a horror movie as I was during Paranormal Activity 4. The scares are theoretically bigger and badder this time around, but sloppy storytelling from directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman undermines any impact they might’ve had. After three great installments, the little low-budget horror series that could has finally lost its way.
Read More »
Newly announced sequels, new info on previously announced sequels and the death of others. Tons of news in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump read about:
- Liam Neeson didn’t think Taken 3 would happen, but the screenwriter of Taken 2 says it definitely is.
- Rob Cohen would love to go back to both the xXx and Fast and Furious series.
- Tyrese Gibson tweets a semi-spoilery photo from Fast and Furious 6 and says he wants to come back for Transformers 4.
- Michael Bay says Transformers 4 will have “a different feel” and “open the franchise up.”
- Texas Chainsaw 3D will feature footage from the original film.
- Director Isaac Florentine and actor Scott Adkins are back for Ninja 2.
- Paranormal Activity 4 is coming to IMAX.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, October 8th, 2012 by Angie Han
The Paranormal Activity franchise has proved a boon for Paramount, thanks to the films’ low budgets, high box office grosses, and quick production schedules. But the real magic ingredient may be the series’ surprising ability to keep expanding mythology of the relatively simple first film. Paranormal Activity 2 and 3 kept things fresh by filling in the blanks left by the first movie, and this month’s Paranormal Activity 4 promises to build on that foundation by picking back up with Katie and Hunter.
So naturally, the studio’s been thinking up ways to keep expanding the Paranormal universe, perhaps even after Katie and Hunter’s tale comes to an end. (Whenever that may be.) A new report indicates that Paramount is looking to offer a peek of a Latino-themed Paranormal spinoff within the credits of Paranormal Activity 4. More after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, October 5th, 2012 by Angie Han
Star-crossed lovers, a sad-sack supervillain, a creepy kid, an obnoxious ghost, and a hard-partying clique all rub shoulders in this installment of Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Writer says Dr. Horrible 2 is aiming to shoot in 2013
- The wolf pack returns to Caesars Palace for Hangover 3
- Before Midnight eyes a festival debut in early 2013
- Winona Ryder hasn’t heard anything about Beetlejuice 2
- Creepy Robbie is creepy in Paranormal Activity 4 trailer
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
There are several major take aways from the latest trailer for Paranormal Activity 4. One is that Katie and the boy she kidnapped, Hunter, are definitely back. Another is that the evil spirits from the first three films still really, really love to drag people down hallways. A third is that your XBox Kinect is the devil. It all adds up to a very intriguing bit of marketing.
Paranormal Activity 4 opens October 19 from directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, who did Catfish and Paranormal Activity 3. This time around, the story is back in the present, following the neighbors of a mysterious new family whose son may, or may not, be the aforementioned Hunter.
After the jump, you can not only check out the revealing new trailer, but read a bunch of early buzz from a work print screening at Fantastic Fest 2012. Either way, you’ll never look at XBox Kinect the same way again. Read More »
Posters, casting, videos and rumor control. Just another day in the world of Sequel Bits. After the jump, read about the following.
- The Hangover Part III adds actress Lela Loren and is shooting in central California.
- A new trailer is out for Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines.
- Find out how you can work with Michael Bay on Transformers 4.
- A new viral video has been released for Paranormal Activity 4.
- Robert Rodriguez doesn’t think a Predators sequel will happen.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger says nothing is happening on Terminator 5.
- A teaser poster for The Smurfs 2 has been released.
Read More »